Upgrade from 6.7.1 to 7.9.6LTS

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)
  • what are you trying to achieve
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this

I want to upgrade SonarQube which is running on docker from version 6.7.1 to 7.9.6LTS version. Can I upgrade it directly or is it intermediate upgrade required?

Hi @Sangeeta_Kjit55tyuhi:

Welcome to SonarSource Community :sonarsource:

Yes, you can upgrade directly to 7.9.6 and then upgrade to 8.9.1 LTS. See Upgrade the Server | SonarQube Docs.

Note that 7.9.6 is no longer LTS.

Hi Joe, Thanks for your reply. Currently we have deployed sonarqube on docker container, Below is the docker-compose file we are using. SonaQube GUI at the bottom shows as Version 6.7.1 (build 35068) - [LGPL v3], Although we are using developer license. To me it looks like it is community Edition configured with developer license. If I need to upgrade this to 7.9.6LTS sonarqube image, Will I have to first upgrade it to image:“sonarqube:6.7.7-community” and then upgrade to image: “sonarqube:7.9.6-community” or can I directly upgrade to “sonarqube:7.9.6-community” image.

version: “3”

services:
sonarqube:
image: sonarqube:6.7.1
command: -Dsonar.ce.javeOpts=-Xmx2048m
restart: always
ports:
- “9000:9000”
networks:
- sonarnet
environment:
- SONARQUBE_JDBC_URL=jdbc:postgresql://db:5432/sonar
volumes:
- sonarqube_conf:/opt/sonarqube/conf
- sonarqube_data:/opt/sonarqube/data
- sonarqube_extensions:/opt/sonarqube/extensions
- sonarqube_bundled-plugins:/opt/sonarqube/lib/bundled-plugins

db:
image: postgres
restart: always
networks:
- sonarnet
environment:
- POSTGRES_USER=xxx
- POSTGRES_PASSWORD=xxxx
volumes:
- postgresql:/var/lib/postgresql
# This needs explicit mapping due to postgres/Dockerfile.template at 4e48e3228a30763913ece952c611e5e9b95c8759 · docker-library/postgres · GitHub
- postgresql_data:/var/lib/postgresql/data

networks:
sonarnet:
driver: bridge

volumes:
sonarqube_conf:
external: true
sonarqube_data:
sonarqube_extensions:
sonarqube_bundled-plugins:
postgresql:
postgresql_data:

Please read this link: Upgrade the Server | SonarQube Docs

It tells you that you can skip the patch versions so yes you can go straight to 7.9.6.

You should then upgrade from 7.9.6 to 8.9.1 LTS. We just released 8.9.1 LTS.

Hi Joe, thank you for our response. I started sonarqube container with image- sonarqube:7.9.6-community but I don’t see “License Manager” tab under Administration->Configuration. We already have a container running with image- sonarqube:6.7.1 and have configured for developer edition, how can I upgrade from 6.7.1 to 7.9.6 version on docker with developer edition.

Hi @Sangeeta_Kjit55tyuhi ,

Please reference the documentation here: Upgrade the Server: Upgrading from Docker Image (scroll down to that section).