Need to upgrade sonarqube from 6.7.6 to 9.1 version

Hello Team,

Can you please let me know how can we check that installed sonarqube is community or enterprise edition?

If I scroll down to the bottom in SonarQube GUI i can see like below: -
Version 6.7.6 (build 38781)

I need to upgrade my sonarqube from 6.7.6 to 9.1 and the sonar its installed in ubuntu linux server in AWS.

Please let me know steps to follow for upgrading sonarqube

Can some one have a look on this issue please.

I have go through with below link but unable to upgrade sonarqube from 6.7.6 to 9.1 because from the step 1 i cant find zip file for 1.9 release and sonar installed in ubuntu server.
Link:- Upgrade guide

Please send me the document that how to upgrade the sonarqube from 6.7.6 to 9.1 version

Waiting for the reply…

Thanks in advance

Hi,

In 6.7, IIRC, there was only one distribution and bundles of plugins you added to upgrade to commercial editions. That’s why you’re not seeing edition in your page footer.

For your upgrade, your migration path is:

6.7.6 → 7.9.6 → 8.9.10 → 9.9.1.

The main thing for each of those intermediate steps is the database schema migrations, and any edition is fine to do those. All the migrations are in each edition.

And to find out what edition you’re currently on, check the license page, which is going to be somewhere under Administration. Administration → Configuration → License Manager, I believe. (I don’t think it’s moved since 6.7.

You may find these resources helpful:

If you have questions about upgrading, feel free to open a new thread for that here.

HTH,
Ann

Hello Campbell,

Now i have upgraded sonarqube from 6.7.6 to 7.9.6 but when i hit sonarqube URL asking to take the backup of the database.

We are strugling to take databse backup and i have used below commands to take backup but no luck
pg_dumpall -U sonar -f /home/ubuntu/sonarqube_database_backup/db.out -g

pg_dumpall > /home/ubuntu/sonarqube_database_backup/databse_backup.out

file is copying to the directory but no content in the file

Please guide for this step

Hi,

SonarQube itself will never ask you to back up the database. Our upgrade guide advises doing it, but there’s no URL in SonarQube that tells you to do so or blocks you from proceeding until you do.

Regarding performing an upgrade, it is a very good idea. But out of scope for this community.

Ann

Thaks for the above update.

Now iam upgrading sonarqube from 7.9.6 to 8.9.10. so for sonarqube 8.9.10 which java version is required?

My current java version in ubuntu system:-
openjdk version “11.0.19” 2023-04-18
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.19+7-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.19+7-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

Hi,

Yes, for SonarQube 8.9.10, you’ll need Java 11.

HTH,
Ann

Thanks for quick reply

1 Like

after updating the sonarqube from 6.7.6 to 7.9.6 facing below error on my application code pipeline

Downloaded from central: https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/org/codehaus/mojo/sonar-maven-plugin/3.9.1.2184/sonar-maven-plugin-3.9.1.2184.pom (1.1 kB at 362 kB/s)
[WARNING] The artifact org.codehaus.mojo:sonar-maven-plugin:jar:3.9.1.2184 has been relocated to org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:jar:3.9.1.2184: SonarQube plugin was moved to SonarSource organisation
[INFO]
[INFO] ---------------------< signify-multione:authorize >---------------------
[INFO] Building Authorization 0.0.1-SNAPSHOT
[INFO] from pom.xml
[INFO] --------------------------------[ jar ]---------------------------------
[INFO]
[INFO] — sonar:3.9.1.2184:sonar (default-cli) @ authorize —
[INFO] User cache: /root/.sonar/cache
[ERROR] SonarQube server [http://10.1#.#.#] can not be reached
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] Total time: 2.182 s
[INFO] Finished at: 2023-05-18T12:06:34Z
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.sonarsource.scanner.maven:sonar-maven-plugin:3.9.1.2184:sonar (default-cli) on project authorize: Unable to execute SonarScanner analysis: Fail to get bootstrap index from server: Status returned by url [http://10.1#.#.#/batch/index] is not valid: [404] → [Help 1]

[ERROR]
[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full debug logging.
[ERROR]
[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1] MojoExecutionException - Apache Maven - Apache Software Foundation

[Container] 2023/05/18 12:06:34 Command did not exit successfully mvn -e sonar:sonar -Dsonar.login=$SONAR_LOGIN -Dsonar.host.url=$SONAR_HOST -Dsonar.log.level=TRACE exit status 1
[Container] 2023/05/18 12:06:34 Phase complete: BUILD State: FAILED
[Container] 2023/05/18 12:06:34 Phase context status code: COMMAND_EXECUTION_ERROR Message: Error while executing command: mvn -e sonar:sonar -Dsonar.login=$SONAR_LOGIN -Dsonar.host.url=$SONAR_HOST -Dsonar.log.level=TRACE. Reason: exit status 1
[Container] 2023/05/18 12:06:34 Entering phase POST_BUILD

Hi,

This represents a configuration error somewhere since you got a 404 on the initial call to the server. Make sure you’re passing the right server URL to analysis. Make sure your upgraded server is available at the same URL as previously.

Ann

My sonarqube service is running in server and on browser as well

Can you please send any documentation to troubleshoot the issue

Hello Ann,

Did you get chance to review my comments?

Iam thinking issues coming due to plugin and i have checked the upgradation notes but i didnt understand the point

How to install plugin for sonarqube in ubuntu server? i have reffered below point but i didn’t get source to install the plugins

And i can see all the below jars in my ubuntu server under sonarqube path /lib path for old 6.7.6 version and this version is working and I don’t no how to install them for new sonarqube 9.2.4 and Iam thinking below jars are causing the issue?
sonar-csharp-plugin-6.5.0.3766.jar sonar-javascript-plugin-3.2.0.5506.jar sonar-scm-git-plugin-1.3.0.869.jar sonar-xml-plugin-1.4.3.1027.jar
sonar-flex-plugin-2.3.jar sonar-php-plugin-2.11.0.2485.jar sonar-scm-svn-plugin-1.6.0.860.jar
sonar-java-plugin-4.15.0.12310.jar sonar-python-plugin-1.8.0.1496.jar sonar-typescript-plugin-1.1.0.1079.jar

Below point referred but unable to download the plugins:-

1. If you’re using third-party plugins, Manually install plugins that are compatible with your version of SonarQube. Use the plugin version matrix to ensure that the versions you install are compatible with your server version. Simply copying plugins from the old server to the new is not recommended; incompatible or duplicate plugins could cause startup errors. Analysis of all languages provided by your edition is available by default without plugins.

1.Download 9.1 sonar edition in server
2.update sonar properties as like as 6.7.6 in this new server.
3.and start the server with steps.