SonarQube will not start

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

  • which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension) -sonarqube-, no extensions, no plugins, TFS2019/SQL Server 2016
  • what are you trying to achieve - Start SonarQube with modified to settings for our local server environment
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this - After successfully starting SonarQube, and accessing the default web page, I attempted to make changes to properties.config to point at my SQL Server database. Executing StartSonar.bat now fails.

Can you help me?

sonar.log (8.4 KB)


Hi @terrybuda and welcome to the community :wave:

in the sonarqube install directory is a logs directory. can you share the content of all the files in there? i think we can get more answers in the web.log file

Hi Tobias!

Thank you for your response and any help you can provide.

The entire contents of the logs folder are attached. This set of logs reflects the results of trying to run StartSonar.bat, after changing my file to configure it for our TFS environment.

Best regards,es.log (3.5 KB) sonar.log (2.8 KB) web.log (24.1 KB)

Hi @terrybuda ,

no problem :smiley:

Login failed for user ‘spotazdoservice’. ClientConnectionId:1ac00611-f55b-4efb-826d-0cfd7fe1164c

it looks like the credentials for the database user you provided are not correct. can you validate them?

1 Like

Hi Tobias!

Thank you very much for your help. I was using an AD service account, but have now created a local login, which cleared that error. The JVM window now stays open, as expected.

New problem - the website does not come up. I have attached new logs, taken now that the DB login works.

access.log (516 Bytes) ce.log (1.5 KB) es.log (28.6 KB) sonar.log (20.1 KB) web.log (223.6 KB)

Take care,

Hi @terrybuda ,

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid character found in method name [0x160x030x010x020x000x010x000x010xfc0x030x03"0xa60xac+0xaf0x890xc30x1fAk20xaf00x99Q0xef0xa50x0c0xa30xe10xa50x8a0x160xc7&0x0dP>w0x090xd40]. HTTP method names must be tokens

do you try to access sonarqube via https? if yes then please let a reverse proxy handle TLS as sonarqube can only communicate via http.

If this is not the case can you state your browser, OS locale and configured authentication methode?

Hi Tobias! Sorry for the delayed response.
Thank you for helping me to locate that error in the log. I am not sure what to do to fix that. We do not intend to access SonarQube via https, at this time.

I have tried to access it via both https: and http: I have used Firefox, Chrome, and IE, all in their most current versions. The OS is Windows Server 2012, and authentication method is Active Directory, current user credentials. I also tried to run the browsers ‘as administrator’

Hmm can you try to check the route to sonarqube? maybe there is a mitm proxy configured in your environment or something like this?
Because the invalid characters in the error message look like a TLS request header

We don’t have a proxy server or MITM.

I was able to get the page to display before I edited the config file. After editing the config file to fit our environment, the sonarqube service starts/runs and the log says the web page is up. The page error is This site can’t be reached [my server] refused to connect.

I have attached copies of the latest log files again. Thanks for your help!

access.log (194 Bytes) ce.log (3.3 KB) es.log (7.6 KB) sonar.log (33.0 KB) web.log (27.1 KB)

okay i am confused now. are we still talking about the protocol error? what kind of changes did you do to the config? (19.9 KB) Sorry for confusing the issue. To clarify - initially, I was able to get sonarqube installed with the out-of-box settings, and the default web-page started. I then made the necessary changes to the settings in the file to get sonarqube to point at our TFS server and database. After many unsuccessful attempts to get the web page to come back up, I reached out to you on this community. Your active directory suggestion got me past the first problem. All of our dialogue since is focused on getting the web page to come up.

I attached my file (converted to .txt) and today’s logs.

access.log (1.3 KB) ce.log (6.9 KB) es.log (24.6 KB) sonar.log (52.1 KB) web.log (53.8 KB)

but the protocol error you had in this post is gone?

from what i can see in your config, you should use a ip address of the network interface you want to expose sonarqube to on the property and not the FQDN. also i see that you set the sonar.web.context to /sonarqube and in the access.log you try to access only / without the web context, so maybe try to navigate to and see if you can view the sonarqube interface there.

as a last note: please change your database password as you posted it in the file and this is a public forum :see_no_evil:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Sonarqube Startup

Thank you Tobias! Adding /sonarqube/ to the url worked and we are now able to access the page.

Best regards,

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.