Rule description shows default severity instead of severity defined in SonarQube

Please provide

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • SonarLint plugin version: 7.12.0.72679
  • Eclipse version: 2021-12 (4.22.0)
  • Programming language you’re coding in: Java
  • Is connected mode used:
    • Connected to SonarQube v9.9.1.69595

I am using SonarLint connected to a SonarQube instance where I’ve overwritten the default severity for some rules. I’ve noticed that while the “On-The-Fly”-view correctly displays the severity configured in SonarQube, the “Rule Description”-view always shows the rule’s default severity. You can see an example of this inconsistency in the attached screenshot:

Hello @Pasc,

thank you for raising this issue. We are going to investigate on it and come back to you based on the results we found.

Best,
Tobias

Hi @Pasc,

I’ve investigated the issue and the results are in: The problem is actually none but intended, but let me explain - the actual problem in this situation is the UX which is not very good, but I created a ticket for that to be resolved in the near future: SLE-661

The SonarLint On-The-Fly view shows the actual issue (which you have overwritten on your SQ instance, e.g. in the Quality Profile), an issue being the occurance of the violation of a rule. The SonarLint Rule Description view on the other hand shows the global definition of the rule itself.
Therefore a violation of any rule is marked as an issue - you can override the severity of any issue but not the rule itself.

The ticket I created will focus on the UX regarding such a problem which can be confusion to say at least - and I agree. We’ll update the user experience to provide information for you as a user not only in the documentation but in the IDE itself.

Best,
Tobias