License application for SonarQube Enterprise in a Docker container

Now that there are official images available for the Enterprise editions, we are attempting to use them. I am running into an issue with how to apply the license for new containers in development. It appears that the license was generated via a server ID and that appears to be created when there are new instances.

• How would I go about testing installations using our license for our Enterprise edition?
  • How can the license be applied during installation? I am using the stable helm chart recently updated to support 8+ and can install the enterprise version however the license I have isn’t applied until after the server starts and is incompatible with the each of the new instances because the server ID is different.
  • How would we support development and automation/installation of the enterprise edition?

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

What version of SonarQube are we talking about? Assuming you’re looking at 7.9 and higher, the server ID should be stored in and tied to the DB, not changing each time you spin up a new server image. Perhaps you should fill in some details about your setup.

Ann

Hi there! Thanks for the reply. We are using 8.1 enterprise beta with Oracle DB. I was hoping we could run the enterprise version locally for development but since the license is tied to the DB it doesn’t look like that will work. We are using an updated version of the latest stable helm chart - we have a PR in for that will allow us to use Oracle as a DB without modifying the stable chart.

Hi,

You ought to be able to meet all your needs with a combination of SonarLint and PR analysis…?

Ann

This is really just so we can build the automation we need to support installing the tools from scratch. We get close now but can’t validate that it works without the license. We would like to prove that all of the automation works including installing plugins, installing the DB from scratch before we deploy it.