Help in regards to sonarqube 8.9 extension plugins

Hi All,

I have now upgraded by Sonarqube instance in DEV test environment from 7.9 to 8.9 LTS and was wondering why there is no plugins installed in conf/extensions/plugins and when i tried to copy across from old version Sonarqube was unable to start up. Attached upload shows current plugins in 7.9

Is

Thanks,
Matthew

Hi @mattymcn95 ,

take a look at the post here for explanation.
the language analyzers from sonarsource are now shipped with each release and the directory in question is only for 3rd party plugins. This change was introduced with sonarqube 8.5

hope that helps :slight_smile:

I encountered the same problem when we went from LTS to LTS. No all of us are “eagle-eyed SonarQube operators” or have the time to read all the Community postings.

Years of habit; you copy over your existing plugins into the new version’s extensions/plugins directory. Yet this time we saw no UI, and this in the logs:

ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.PlatformImpl] Web server startup failed: The following plugins are no longer compatible with this version of SonarQube: 'authgithub', 'authsaml', 'ldap', 'scmgit', 'scmsvn'
 ERROR web[][o.s.s.p.PlatformImpl] Web server startup failed: Found a plugin 'SonarJS' in the directory 'extensions/plugins' with the same key [javascript] as a built-in feature 'JavaScript/TypeScript Code Quality and Security'. Please remove 'extensions/plugins/sonar-javascript-plugin-6.2.2.13315.jar'.

The first error was clear, but the second only triggered for [javascript], even though I had 5 language plugins (Java, typescript, XML, HTML); weird.

So, I started up with an empty directory and reinstalled from the UI, to then also curse wondering "Where did all the language plugins in the Marketplace go? My concern with approach is any custom settings may disappear if the plugin were not present.

Even in retrospect, reading the 8.5 Release Notes,

is not clear what “don’t require plugins” means (hint: copy them and your app will gracefully crash on startup).

I’ll also note the blog Post : SonarQube 8.9 LTS: 3 steps to a smooth upgrade only mentions to evaluate third-party plugins, so no smooth upgrade experience here.

It should be clearly stated in the documentation to not copy over any plugins, except third-party plugins, or to not copy any over, then install via the UI after startup (assuming plugin settings are preserved). ie:
Install a Plugin
Upgrade the Server
" LTS to LTS Release Upgrade Notes"

Slightly related (but a separate question)… If:

Does that mean we can only expect plugin updates and rules updates as part of an incremental LTS release and does that imply there will be MORE minor LTS releases just to get updated (Non-) language plugins and rules ? Seem like overkill.

Hey there.

To respond to this point:

You can read more about this here:

Colin,

Your reference answers the related (but separate) question. The key point should be addressed:

Hi Ian,

I am stuck with the same error. Can you help me resolve the same?

Regards,
Hetal

IIRC
, the guidance was to NOT copy the extensions when doing an upgrade. following the upgrade, reapply the plugins from the UI. Delete: extensions/plugins/*.

1 Like