Guidance on DB version for upgrade

Hello,
We are using SonarQube 7.7 community edition and we would like to upgrade to 7.9 LTS version and then we’ll plan other step to go 8.9 LTS .
I’m checking about compatibility with database but I can’t find information. Could someone teel me wich version of PostgreSQL is supported ? Actually we are using PostgreSQL 9.6 .
About step to upgrade, I found only this link Upgrade the Server | SonarQube Docs , it’s very poor of information. Are there other information ?
Thanks
Regards
Morris

Hello @morris_monaco and welcome to the community :wave:

you can find more information about the database requirements for version 7.9 here and for 8.9 here, and there you see that Postgresql 9.6 is still supported by both versions.

as for the upgrade instructions; you already found that you will need to hop from your version to the next LTS and then to the current LTS. The process to do it would be as follows:

• Backup your Database
  • Download SonarQube 7.9 LTS and extract the zip file
  • Configure SonarQube 7.9 to connect to your Database
  • Stop your 7.7 instance
  • Start your 7.9 instance
  • go to /setup
  • start the database migration
  • get a coffee or two (this can take some time)
  • once the database migration is complete you should run VACUUM FULL on your database
  • update complete

And you would basically do the same for the 7.9 to 8.9 version update. maybe it would be a good idea for that to read the LTS to LTS Release notes to check if there is some other thing to take into consideration.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,
thanks for your tips.First step went well, now I’ll planning to migrate to 8.9.
Regards

1 Like

Best of luck \o/

1 Like

Hello,
I’m going to plan the upgrade to 8.9 LTS . I noticed that on $SONAR_HOME/extensions/plugins there aren’t plugins , the dir is empty . What the reason of that ? I found some plugins on lib/extensions directory . What difference from 7.9 ?
Regards

Take a look at this announcement/guide here: SonarQube v8.5 and Beyond: Where did all the plugins go?

1 Like

Thanks NotTobi, this link is very useful . I found this link for the compatibility of the plugins Plugin Version Matrix | SonarQube Docs

I have only these 3 plugins that I need to install because they aren’t bundled :
sonar-findbugs-plugin-4.0.4.jar
sonarqube-community-branch-plugin-1.8.1.jar
sonar-typescript-plugin-2.1.0.4362.jar

If they are listed as compatible you should be good to install them again after the upgrade :slightly_smiling_face: