Update from native 7.7-23042 to docker running 8.x

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)
    • sonarqube-7.7 (build 23042)
    • postgresql-9.6.21
    • Plugins
      • Checkstyle 4.19
      • Community Branch Plugin 1.0.2
      • Git 1.8 (build 1574)
      • GitHub Authentication for SonarQube 1.5 (build 870)
      • Issue resolver 1.0.2
      • JaCoCo 1.0.1 (build 143)
      • LDAP 2.2 (build 608)
      • PMD 3.2.0
      • Rules Compliance Inedx (RCI) 1.0.1
      • SonarC# 7.14 (build 8411)
      • SonarCSS 1.0.3 (build 724)
      • SonarFlex 2.4 (build 1222)
      • SonarGo 1.1.0 (build 1612)
      • SonarHTML 3.1 (build 1615)
      • SonarJS 5.1.1 (build 7506)
      • SonarJava 5.12.1 (build 17771)
      • SonarKotlin 1.5.0 (build 315)
      • SonarPHP 3.0.0.4537
      • SonarPython 1.13 (build 2922)
      • SonarRuby 1.5.0 (build 315)
      • SonarScala 1.5.0 (build 315)
      • SonarTS 1.9 (build 3766)
      • SonarVB 7.14 (build 8411)
      • SonarXML 2.0.1 (build 2020)
      • Svn 1.9.0.1295
  • what are you trying to achieve
    I have a native Sonarqube installation with above components which runs fine. I’d like to update to a docker version that re-uses the current installation, so people the love/know docker can (also) chime in when upgrades are needed and testing newer versions will be easier.
    I think the person that installed this has just selected as much as possible, as we don’t use Python, Ruby, Scala, C#, Go, VB, Kotlin, SVN, or PHP anywhere in our code. Nor plan to, so I think just dropping them is safe. (we do have a lot of Perl code, but I see no plugins that match Perl)
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this
    Browse the documentation, read update and upgrade manuals. None of what I found mentions migrating from native to docker.

Is there a document that describes actions in moving a working running sonarcube installation to docker on the same machine.

FWIW I have no problem in upgrading the postgresql database if that would be a requirement. 9.6 is too old for my taste.

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

There are a couple things here.

First, nearly all the plugins you list come out of the box. It will be easiest IMO to just live with most of them since they’ll keep re-appearing with each upgrade.

Second, you can’t upgrade directly from 7.7 to 8.x; you need to go through the intervening LTS, 7.9, first.

Third, you’re not finding a lot of documentation on upgrading from “native” to Docker because… it’s not really an issue. All the data lives in your DB. The actual upgrade is performed when you point a new version of SonarQube at your DB and send the upgrade command (step 6).

The docs on spinning up with Docker may be helpful.

HTH,
Ann

Thank you! Really helpful

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.