I just figured it out. After I installed the .vsix, I thought I was done, but apparently not. I navigated to “Browse local Extensions” in my TFS dashboard, and under the Build and Release extensions, I saw the SonarQube one. I clicked on it and there was an “Install” button. I figured it was already installed, but hit it anyway and it performed some more magic and finished up.
I then went back to my service endpoints and low and behold, the SonarQube endpoint was available for configuration. I set it up, then went to my build configuration and found that the very latest SQ analysis tasks were available.
So, I think in this case, the SQ extension install documentation is seriously lacking and need to be updated with the above so newbies like me don’t get lost trying to figure out what the heck is wrong.
Now to actually try running a SQ analysis within a build…