SonarQube 7.2 - branches not working (at all)

I’m starting to be out of idea.

This log:

Loaded core extensions: branch-scanner

is an evidence that you are running a developer edition, with branch support. But then many other logs I was expecting are not there. A bit like if the scanner code was corrupted.
Maybe another plugin is causing an unexpected incompatibility. Could you give the list of all plugins you have on your instance. I see you have Sonargraph integration. I gave a quick look at its sourcecode and I saw nothing wrong with it. But maybe you could give a try (on a test instance) and remove it.

Hi Simon,

we had the same problem with upgrades from 6.x to 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 and never got the branching to work. We decided to use a new database dropping the old issues and everything worked. I doubt migration is a good idea, espacially if you already have different projects for different branches like we had.

Kind regards,
Michael

Hi Julien,
Please find attached a list of all our plugins with version and build numbers if they are given. We only added a few plugins that we used on our old version. I will try removing the plugin and see if that helps.

Thanks
sonar_plugins.txt (920 Bytes)

Hi Michael,
thanks for your reply. We were thinking about doing that as well.

Kind regards,
Simon

Hello again everybody,

since we were unable to get the branching feature to work on the old sonar-instance we have decided to try it with a new server. The server is also 7.2 developer edition (got a trial-key today and set up everything). Unfortunately branches still don’t work. Updated the pom.xml to the new hardware and did an initial scan of the master branch then tried 2 other branches and tried providing the branch.name property in the pom.xml as well as a command-line option.
The branch-name is sent to sonar, but we still only see our master-branch.
I did the analysis on my machine running Ubuntu 18.04 with sonar-scanner installed.
sonar-scanner --version gives me the following output:

sonar-scanner --version
INFO: Scanner configuration file: …/sonar-scanner-3.2.0.1227-linux/conf/sonar-scanner.properties
INFO: Project root configuration file: NONE
INFO: SonarQube Scanner 3.2.0.1227
INFO: Java 1.8.0_121 Oracle Corporation (64-bit)
INFO: Linux 4.15.0-38-generic amd64

If anyone has an idea it would be highly appreciated.

Hi,

Is your new server set up like the old one, with all the same plugins? I ask because in looking again at the context you sent earlier in the thread I see a number of old/no-longer-maintained plugins, and one that’s a conflict. They shouldn’t have anything to do with what’s (not) going on here, but we’re at the grasping-at-straws portion of the program.

Specifically:

• JSON
  • Java Properties
  • Rules Compliance Index
  • C++ (Community) - you’ve got SonarCFamily; no need for this one too
  • Sonargraph Integration / Sonargraph - you have both of these installed; you probably only need one.

Also, since you’re still in the testing phase, would you consider upgrading your extra instance to the just-released 7.4 and trying again? Maybe even retry with a 7.4 instance with no extra plugins (FindBugs, Checkstyle, &etc)? Again, this shouldn’t be relevant, but…

And one final thing, I can see from the old context you sent that you’ve set the long-lived branch name pattern to .*. Could you either revert to the default or set it to something slightly more discriminating?

Ann

Hi Ann,

removing the plugins you listed worked for me. I am currently testing out which one is preventing the branch-feature and will post that below.

Thanks for your help

Removing the C++ (Community) - Plugin got branching to work

Wow! Thanks for the additional testing and followup. This is really good to know.

Ann