- Operating system: Windows 10 (10.0.19045)
- SonarLint plugin version: 10.3.0.77475
- IntelliJ IDEA version: 2023.3.3 (Ultimate Edition)
- Programming language you’re coding in: Java
- Is connected mode used: No
Whenever I launch my IntelliJ IDEA IDE with the SonarLint plugin enabled, it triggers my installation of the Entrust EESP to prompt for my password, blocking further IDE startup/warmup until I have supplied my password correctly.
This has become especially annoying with the recent updates to IntelliJ, which seem to have modified the IDE splash screen behavior. Currently, the splash screen seems to always force its way to the front, making interaction with the EESP prompt very difficult, as this is always behind the splash screen, which is non-dismissable.
I have made the observation that this behavior seems to be connected to the file found at “USER_HOME/.sonarlint/telemetry/idea/usage”, since this file is modified (without its content actually changing) every time I supply my password to the EESP prompt.
What I’m also a bit surprised by is that the file modification happens regardless of whether I disable or enable telemetry collection via “Settings → Tools → SonarLint → About”.
Why is the SonarLint plugin triggering the prompt? And is there any way to prevent this prompt from being triggered by the SonarLint IntelliJ plugin?
We have changed in the recent versions the way we configure our HTTP client. As an attempt to make people’s life easier, we are using a library that is trying to detect all configured SSL certificates, not only in the Java truststore, but also in the Operating System specific stores.
We already had a report from a user complaining that accessing the
Windows-ROOT store was requesting elevated privileges, and if I understand correctly, your case is a bit similar.
That would be really useful if you could collect a thread dump of the IntelliJ process when it is waiting for your EESP prompt. That would confirm our diagnostic, even if I am pretty confident already
I have created this ticket: [SLCORE-686] - Jira to track our progress on resolving this issue.
Regarding the specific case of the telemetry, that seems to initialize the HTTP client even if disabled, I have created a second ticket: [SLI-1253] - Jira
Thanks for your feedback!
thank you for your quick response and setting up the tickets!
Yeah, that does indeed sound similar to my issue.
Unfortunately, I’m unable to share a thread or heap dump with you, due to security concerns. But if you need me to check something specific, I’d be more than happy to help!
Another minor detail I found in the meantime; if I delete the “USER_HOME/.sonarlint/telemetry/idea/usage” file (IntelliJ not running at that time), the telemetry collection setting of the SonarLint plugin will be changed from inactive to active the next time I start my IDE (and the file is also recreated).
This is expected, because we store the enabled/disabled setting in this file.