Resolution of an issue keeps fluctuating for after every analysis

Hi , I’m using SonarQube Enterprise Edition 8.4.2 . I can see that, for an issue in a file, the resolution keeps fluctuating between fixed and open after every analysis, though the file has not undergone any changes since the very first analysis. Attaching a screenshot of the same -

Hi,

Could we also have a screenshot of your Activity page? I’d like to verify that the same Quality Profile is in use throughout.

…Aaaand maybe include the Lines of Code graph in that so we can make sure that’s not fluctuating?

Ann

Sure, here you go…

Hi,

I find it very odd that there’s only one snapshot visible on your Activity page when your issue change log shows at least 6 analyses. Are you sure they’re from the same project & branch?

Ann

Yes, they are from the same project and branch…

Okay. I see now that you’ve filtered the activity page by date. How about an unfiltered screenshot.

Ann

But the issue is between those dates right…?

Hi,

I was looking for fluctuation in the Quality Profile in use. Even though you filtered to the dates shown in the initial screenshot’s issue changelog, housekeeping has whittled that down to a single snapshot.

I suppose the fact that there aren’t additional snapshots in the date range indicates that there weren’t additional QP changes (otherwise housekeeping would have saved the snapshots). TBH, I didn’t register the filter dates at first or the fact that they line up with the initial issue screenshot you posted.

Where I’m going with this: Your initial issue screenshot shows that the issue has toggled back and forth between Open and Fixed multiple times in a brief period. Check the docs and you’ll see that each “was FIXED… changed to OPEN” matches the final case for “which issues are ‘New’”.

So then the question is: why was the issue closed (yes, I know that’s what you asked to start with last week). Options are:

• file was not included in every analysis (The LOC graph mostly eliminates this). Potential causes
    • changes to analysis configuration (source definition, exclusions)
    • changes to source available to analysis (something wrong with the check out)
  • changes to which Quality Profile was used. This is what I was looking for on your Activity page)
  • changes to content of Quality Profile. Your Activity page shows some of this but not enough to explain the toggling we see in that issue history.

So… I’m not sure where to go from here. Is this still happening, or are you just trying to resolve an historical mystery?

Ann

I’m facing a similar issue again recently. We’ve upgraded to SonarQube 9.1 currently.

Again, this file too hasn’t undergone any change recently.

Hi,

Congrats on your upgrade to 9.1. You need to keep going to SonarQube 9.9 LTS.

Can you let us know if this is still happening once you get there?

Ann

Hi,

Is it a bug in version 9.1 that has been fixed in version 9.9? We still don’t have this upgrade in plan yet.

Chandana

Hi Chandana,

To be honest, reports of this are so infrequent, it’s hard to know. And I know it won’t be possible to get any serious attention on your report if you’re not on either the current LTS, 9.9, or the latest version: 10.0.

:woman_shrugging:
Ann