Requesting high-level guidance on upgrading from 6.7.4 to latest version with DB import

Hello all,

I apologize for the broadness of this question, I am a junior Sysadmin and just got assigned my second project.

We currently have two separate VM’s for SonarQube running ver. 6.7.4. The extra one is for the database.

What I’m trying to do is create a new, single server running the latest version and I need to be able to import the old database if possible.

I’m currently looking into this but I was wondering if someone could provide a brief, high-level roadmap as I’m having a little bit of trouble finding the right info for my specific case. I’m also sure there could be some roadblocks lying ahead due to the disparity between versions.

Thanks for your time!

-Michael

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

I would not combine the server and its database on the same machine; you don’t want the resource needs of one to constrain the operations other.

To get to the latest SonarQube version, you need to do several, successive upgrades; you’re a few years behind:

6.7.4 → 7.9.6 → 8.9.10 → 9.7.1 (last step optional)

When you do these upgrades, just point each successive one at your same database; SonarQube will handle its own schema upgrades.

The docs should help:

Feel free to come back and create new threads if you have more questions.

HTH,
Ann

Hey thanks for the reply Ann!

Can you please help me understand what you mean by: “I would not combine the server and its database on the same machine; you don’t want the resource needs of one to constrain the operations other.”

I’m curious because we looked at the CPU and memory utilization of our current systems and it seems that because there’s not many people who use them, we think that our planned, single server won’t be overtaxed with the amount of memory and cpu we are planning on building it with.

However, is there something suboptimal about putting those two components on the same system that exists outside of resource constraints? Like, Is there something special about the inner workings of SonarQube that encourages using two hosts even if the single host that the two components would be put on would have enough CPU and Memory capacity to deal with the expected amount of usage?

Thank you for your kind welcome! Excited about this software!

-Michael

Hi Michael,

If you’ve got low usage and think you’re provisioning enough, then go for it. But as I understand it, analysis report processing can be intensive, with calculations & back-and-forths to the DB.

HTH,
Ann

I appreciate your feedback!

-Michael