Portfolio Settings feature with the Administer permission is the same as Project Settings permission

As I was trying to figure out how to enable the Portfolio Settings menu (dropdown) for a portfolio, I came across the tooltip associated with the Administer permission for this particular portfolio that I was trying to configure. It reads: “Access project settings and perform administration tasks. (Users will also need “Browse” permission).”

If I set this for a particular user (or group of users), would it automatically set the Browse permission for them? The Permissions configuration screen for this portfolio doesn’t show “Browse”, as it does when you’re configuring Administer at the project level. Is this by design?

In general, I just find it extremely confusing to set permissions for projects and portfolios, and frankly I don’t think SonarQube Enterprise Edition is ready for large scale deployments across a large enterprise without a full IT Admin team behind it.

The version in the screen shot attached is SonarQube Enterprise Edition v8.9

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 1.33.00 PM

1 Like

Hi,

It looks like that tooltip was a straight copy/paste from the Projects version, even though (as you’ve probably figured out :sweat_smile:) that’s not entirely appropriate. And I’ll bring this up internally.

That permission grants the rights to administer the portfolio itself, rather than the projects in it. For public portfolios, there’s no need to grant Browse; everyone has it implicitly. For private portfolios, the UI will add a Browse column.

:warning: Make sure you upgrade to SonarQube v9.9 LTS soon, not only to benefit from our Best LTS Ever™, but because soon we will systematically ask users to upgrade when they ask questions about earlier versions of SonarQube, which are now considered unsupported. :smiley:

HTH,
Ann