Minimum hardware requirements for SonarQube Server, Scanner, PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch

I am new to SonarQube. I am planning to use the latest version to install it on EKS. I’ve checked this page Prerequisites and Overview | SonarQube Docs but it’s missing some information.

I found that there are 4 components (server + database + Elasticsearch + scanners). Here is the minimum hardware requirement that I found. It would be great if someone can help me to review it.
Server

• Small team - 2GB of RAM to run efficiently and 1GB of free RAM for the OS (8 cores,16GB for enterprise)
  • needs a good SSD for Elasticsearch indices
  • 64 bits only for server
    Prerequisites and Overview | SonarQube Docs

SonarScanner for .NET

PostgreSQL 13 (Must be configured to use UTF-8 charset)

Elasticsearch

It seems the requirement is really big and will cost a lot of us. Do we need to use Elasticsearch Server?

Thanks.

Hi @michaelsync and welcome to the community :wave:

i think there is a little missunderstanding in your calculation :sweat_smile: let me try to explain:

Elasticsearch is bundled with SonarQube for the Community-, Developer-, and Emterprise Edition. On the Datacenter-Edition you can separate these components.
With this knowledge we can look again at your calculations and the origins of those:

these are the requirements come from using elasticsearch with another product and do not reflect the usage of sonarqube with elasticsearch. as we bundle it anyways you can scrape these requirements from your calculation.

increase the Disk Space here. The database can easily take more than 512 MB of storage. it depends on the amount of code and analysis that are made by your team on how much space is required here. I would go for 8 GB to start with and monitor if this is too big/small.

hope that helps on narrowing down the requirements you listed. in any case you should monitor if your initial size can handle the load as each team works differently with SonarQube, which might change the hardware requirements.

1 Like

Great. Thanks, Tobias. it’s very helpful.

Hi @Tobias_Trabelsi ,

If Elasticsearch is bundled with SonarQube, which hardware requirement do you recommend?

still 1GB RAM and 1 GHz CPU?

as stated in the hardware requirements docs you should opt for at least 3GB RAM (2 for SQ and 1 for the OS, but i think 4 GB is more easy to find). I would also opt for a dual core CPU with a little higher clock speed that 1 GHz, but in the end you need to fine tune these based on demand and usage

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.