Advice with New Install - Sizing

Hello,

Looking at a new install of SonarQube 7.9. Reviewed the hardware document, but can someone provide some advice on how to properly size my servers - CPU/RAM/Disk?

Preferably this will be virtual, but not finding much in the hardware documents other than SSD is good. I know disk capacity may be hard to nail done, but that’s not a big worry as much as sizing the CPU and RAM to ensure they aren’t undersized.

Hey!

Sizing a SonarQube instance is not an exact science, and it can be highly variable based on Edition, number/size of projects you plan to scan, number of users… We have general recommendations for small-scale installations and Enterprise-scale installations.

From our Requirements Documentation

1. A small-scale (individual or small team) instance of the SonarQube server requires at least 2GB of RAM to run efficiently and 1GB of free RAM for the OS. If you are installing an instance for a large teams or Enterprise, please consider the additional recommendations below.

Enterprise Hardware Recommendations

For large teams or Enterprise-scale installations of SonarQube, additional hardware is required. At the Enterprise level, monitoring your SonarQube instance/instance-administration/java-process-memory is essential and should guide further hardware upgrades as your instance grows. A starting configuration should include at least:

• 8 cores, to allow the main SonarQube platform to run with multiple Compute Engine workers
  • 16GB of RAM For additional requirements and recommendations relating to database and ElasticSearch, see Hardware Recommendations/requirements/hardware-recommendations.

Official recommendations aside, if I was sizing a dedicated SonarQube instance to start (not Enterprise scale yet) I wouldn’t drop below 2 vCPUs and 8 GB RAM, a pretty standard VM config.

Colin

1 Like

Thank you ColinHMueller… I appreciate your reply…