Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• which versions are you using
    Community Edition Version 8.9.9
  • how is SonarQube deployed: zip, Docker, Helm
    Docker
  • what are you trying to achieve
    give access to all exciting projects
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this
    as admin i create new user and then created new group then after that added the created user to this group, but i could not get any way to give this group access to all projects, if i use permmmision template it work but for only new project but got the old projects i have to apply this template

Do not share screenshots of logs – share the text itself (bonus points for being well-formatted)!

Hi,

Permission templates are just that: templates. As you’ve observed, they set the permissions on newly created projects, but they have no effect on or ongoing relationship to existing projects. I.e. changing your template won’t change an existing project’s permissions.

However, what you can do is apply a template to existing projects via Administration → Projects → Management → Bulk Apply PermissionTemplate

That will apply the template you select to all the projects that match the search criteria you’ve applied.

HTH,
Ann

Thanks, but the issue they already have some template appleyd on them so if i apply the new template this going to remove the old one and set the new, is not going to append the two templates?

Hi,

As I said,

I think of templates as cookie cutters. They’re applied once to create a shape. If you cut out a bunch of cookies and then drop the cutter on the floor and dent it, it doesn’t change the shape of the cookies that are already cut out. Conversely, if you subsequently use a second cutter on the dough, it just… makes another change to the cookie and has no relationship or impact on the cutter that was used the first time.

Unfortunately, that’s not a perfect metaphor.

Because when you apply the second template, its settings will replace the first one’s - and any subsequent, independent changes you’ve made.

HTH,
Ann

so if i understand right you mean there is no way for me as admin to give access for all old projects to some user by using one step(like bulk action) i need to go project by project and give access to that user? please advice me with best practice for this kind of problem, thanks

Hi,

Sorry, but yes. Scripting could make this less painful, though.

HTH,
Ann