Projects using permission templates are not synced when permissions templates are updated

• Version: Enterprise SonarQube 8.4.2
  • Error: When permission templates are edited with new AD Groups and permissions, the changes do not reflect on the existing projects using the permission template. The permission template would have to be reapplied through a bulk update for each project.
  • Steps to Reproduce.
  1. Create a new private project with a permission template
  2. Edit the permission template by adding a new AD Group with browse permission
  3. Login with a user who is in that AD Group.
  4. Attempt to browse the created project which has the permission template attached to it
  5. User will not have access to view the project.
  • Potential Workaround: Each time a change is created to a permission template then it would need to be manually reapplied to every project which holds the template so that the new changes are synced.

The workaround is not feasible for my use case. All projects should be automatically updated when a change occurs to a permission template. There should be no need to manually reapply the changes to every project.

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

Yes. There is no ongoing relationship between a permission template and a project. A template is applied automatically at project creation, and… that’s is.

Yes. This is how it works.

Ann

Hi, I’m familiar that this is how it works but if the permission template is connected to an existing project then shouldn’t the changes to the permission template automatically reflect upon that existing project?

Hi,

That’s just it. Projects are not connected to templates that have previously been applied to them. It’s like a cookie cutter: If I cut out 20 circle-shaped cookies with a cookie cutter/template then drop the cutter on the floor and dent it, that doesn’t change all the cookies I’ve already cut out.

Ann

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.