Background Task runs for days

Hi!

After jenkins finishes the build and upload the analysis report to sonar server, the background task cannot be finished after 3 days. Does somebody have the same experience or help me out? Thank you!
We use:

• SonarQube 7.1, Community Version,
  • Java project, ~3M,
  • Git blame function
  • Sonargraph Integration
  • sonar.ce.javaOpts=-Xmx12G -Xms1G -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError (there are still ~3G free )

Best,
Lu

Hi Lu,

Whats your SonarJava version? You can find it in Administration > Marketplace

Ann

Hi Ann,

Firstly thanks for your reply!
Plugin SonarJava we use is: 5.6 (build 15032)

Best,
Lu

Hmm… It was silly of me to ask for that; any problems in SonarJava wouldn’t happen server-side.

Does this happen

• consistently?
  • always on the same project?
  • since some event or upgrade?

What happens if you cancel the task?

Ann

Hi Ann,

We upgrade sonarqube server from 5.6.4 to 7.1, after that, small project is not impacted. the background task for big project (~3M) is never successful. For version 5.6.4, no problem for the big project.

Best,
Lu

Hi,

It’s likely that this is relevant:

• SONAR-10253 - Analysis in Compute Engine is too slow on modules having thousands of files

It’s fixed in 7.4 (current ETA early Oct.).

It’s also possible that this is relevant (you don’t mention your DB flavor):

• SONAR-10943 - Analysis may be kept pending indefinitely in Compute Engine on PostgreSQL

This one was fixed in 7.3, so upgrading to the current version might help.

Ann

1 Like

Hi Ann,

We use Oracle DB, therefore https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONAR-10253 looks quite close to our problem. We will wait to test version 7.4.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,
Lu

2 Likes

We encountered the same issue in SonarQube 7.4 (Oracle database). We are now testing the issue with 6.7. I will update the results here.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Background tasks get stuck on different projects