Are there plans for official an Groovy plugin?

Hi!

There is an unifficial Groovy plugin available:

However it has not received a fresh release in a ~year, and there are some pending open issues. Officialifying this plugin, like the CSS plugin, would be great. The Groovy plugin should be kept up-to-date according to the Java rules for the most part (like rule categorizes). An official plugin would be greatly appriciated for this.

Are there any such plans?

Thanks for the answer!
Balázs

Hello Balázs,

Part of our objectives for 2018 is to support 5 new languages. With CSS, Go, Kotlin and Ruby, this is already 4 covered. Scala is on its way and probably Apex will follow. So I’m afraid that for 2018, we are already fully booked.

In all cases, your feedback is taken into account and we will use your input when deciding which new languages we want to cover in 2019.

Regards

2 Likes

Hey Alexandre!

Thanks a lot for your quick response! Looking forward to the new languages! :wink:

Cheers,
Balázs

I can also add that we are currently looking for a good coverage tool for Grails/Groovy, but there aren’t many good ones, and the ones that exist are full of issues. To have any reliable tool would be a big boon.

Hello @Alexandre_Gigleux,

Our software developers are also asking for Groovy support in SonarQube.

While looking for issues to vote for I came across RULEAPI-448 which seems to be an indication, that Groovy support was present in the past but has been dropped.

With this in mind is there any chance at all that the decision to drop Groovy will be reconsidered and that Groovy will come back as an officially supported language?

Best regards
Jochen

Hello,

In 2018, we put in place the technology that allowed us to quickly cover new languages on strong foundations. Thanks to that, SonarQube supports 5 additional languages: SonarGo, SonarKotlin, SonarScala, SonarRuby, SonarApex.

While discussing about our plans for 2019, two options were possible:

• cover more languages: R, Groovy and Rust are the potential candidates
  • bring more valuable rules (bug, vulnerability) to the existing languages we already cover.

The choice was not easy because we know you guys are waiting for official support for Groovy, R, Rust, and even PL/pgSQL, …
Finally we decided to consolidate and we want to go deeper on the 26 languages we currently support as our main priority for 2019.

Do we want to support Groovy? Yes
Will that come in 2019? No, unless your talk to your Java friends and they decide to join SonarSource: https://www.sonarsource.com/company/jobs/static-code-analyzer-software-developer

Regards

5 Likes

Hi Alexandre,

I hope indeed you guys will consider making Groovy a fully supported language this year… Especially since an important use case for Groovy is using the excellent Spock testing framework. Spock test specifications are written in Groovy however, although they are mostly used to test Java code.

Simply adding the gmavenplus-plugin Groovy compiler plugin to your Maven build suffices to make both the Surefire and Failsafe Maven plugins aware of Spock tests, but unfortunately Sonar does not see the code covered by those tests at all.

2 Likes

Is there a possibility for this in 2021? We’d love to be able to scan our Jenkins pipeline code via Sonarqube.

1 Like

Hi @RSchaeferHIG,

To be transparent, this isn’t in the priorities list. Instead of new languages this year, we’re really focused on security in the languages we already cover.

There is this community plugin. It looks like the maintainer got distracted. Maybe he would welcome some help…

:woman_shrugging:
Ann

There exists a fork which is better mainatained Inform-Software/sonar-groovy: SonarQube plugin for Groovy (github.com) - al least there are Nov. 2020 commits

1 Like

for what it is worth: I would also love to see an official Groovy plugin - we use Groovy far more than Scala, Go or Kotlin

2 Likes

Any updates on Groovy support?

Hi,

I’m also interested in Groovy Support. The plugin mentioned above does not work very well. It has issues accepting an external codenarc report analysis and doing it’s own codenarc analisis with the sonar-scanner…

Thank you

1 Like

Apparently this is an old topic, but my company would also like to have Groovy support in SonarCloud. I was surprised and disappointed to find out it wasn’t supported.

hi @jerronjames ,

No plan that I’m aware of, but you can still submit the idea here.

Carine

something tells me this “idea” has already been submitted :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like