Add support for "Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT) Rules Format 1.0""

Hi,
I don’t know if you are aware of a new W3C recommandation published on October 31 “Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT) Rules Format 1.0” which defines a format for writing accessibility test rules. These test rules can be used for developing automated testing tools and manual testing methodologies.
I think using that recommandation to add accessibility validation rules in SonarQube would be a huge step forward for accessibility compliance of your customers’ code.
Please have a look on that one.
THank you.

Hi @pportejoie,

Thank you for this suggestion. I moved it in a new thread because it requests a new feature.
We’ll have a look at it as soon as possible. Keep in mind however that SonarQube/SonarCloud/SonarLint are static code analysis tools. They don’t render the final pages, which means that they can only see html templates, not the final html sent to browsers.

Cheers,
Nicolas

I took a brief look at the link you sent us.

The introduction says:

An ACT Rule is a plain language description of how to test a specific type of content for a specific aspect of an accessibility requirement.

The target audience for such rules does not seem to be automatic tools themselves. They cannot interpret plan language descriptions. It seems to me that they are meant to be read by developers as specifications for implementing automatic or performing manual tests.

Could you describe more precisely the feature you are requesting? I might be missing something.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Hi Nicolas,
You’re right, rules have been defined to ensure that developers who are working on automatic tools use the same format. Thus I suggested you use that when you add accessibility validations in your sonar tools… and maybe refer developer to that standard if they want to add their own rules for accessibility validation.
Thank you.
Patrick

Hi Patrick,

If I understand correctly you ask that we rewrite our rules description using ACT format. This has nothing to do with how we implement our rules. Is that it?

Cheers,
Nicolas