Accessibility issues

(Fabrice LUNEAU) #1

Bonjour,

I am a blind Java developper and try to use Sonar Qube.
But is not easy because the page of the server are not compliance wit WCGA (Web ). Contente Guideline Accessibility
So I a prefer to used the Eclipseplugin.

For examp(…)le there are no area to split the content,

Header informations Main content of the ppage. menu item ....

</main>

<footer role="contentinfo">
 Footer informations
 </footer>

An I would lie to know if there is a plugin to check accessibility compliance

Cordialement

(Laura Wacrenier) #3

Hello @CoderInTheDark

First of all, I’m really sorry for your inconvenience with SonarQube. Unfortunately, SonarQube was not designed in an inclusive way, and we have a lot of accessibility debt that we are aware of.

For 2019, the User Experience team at SonarSource committed to make our software more accessible to visually impaired users. We will start by addressing the needs of partially sighted people, like colorblind users, by enhancing everything relating to contrasts, color accessibility, and typography accessibility.

Then, our next challenge might be to make SonarQube accessible to blind users. We are eager to make it possible to use assistive technology like screen readers. We currently acknowledge that our markup architecture is not ready for this, and we sincerely apologize for it. We will probably need to do research and trainings in the future to become really good at handling this.

In the meantime, if you know of good resources, or quick wins that our front-end team can implement that would make your life easier, I encourage you to share it with us.

We consider having blind community members to be a huge plus to help us in this journey. I will follow-up with you once we get started on this topic, and I hope we can keep in touch for the future developments of an accessible SonarQube.

Thanks a lot for your feedback

(Alexandre Gigleux) #5

Hi @CoderInTheDark,

To complete the answer from Laura, as Analyzers Product Manager, I can say this is part of our plans for 2019 to have more rules in SonarHTML to make web content more accessible. It means we will implement rules that will help us internally to make SonarQube better on that field but also help other developers make their products better. So your need of a “plugin to check accessibility compliance” should be cover sooner or later by SonarHTML.

In addition to https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/, do you have any other guidelines that we should study that will help blind developers to have a better user experience ?

Thanks

(Fabrice LUNEAU) #6

Hi,

I wrote this article with a freind, but it is in french
https://web.developpez.com/actu/98647/Tutoriel-pourquoi-et-comment-rendre-une-application-Web-accessible-Par-Valerie-HACCART-et-Fabrice-LUNEAU/
https://web.developpez.com/tutoriels/accessibilite-web-theorie/

I also wrote an article about Swing

Today I am too busy to give you more information.

An other guideline from W3C is ARIA(Accessible Rich Internet Application).

The use of parametter of role to give a purpose to tag, is very
important for tag like span or div which have no purpose, or when the
tag have been changed of purpose.

Cordialement

(Nicolas Harraudeau) #8

Hi @CoderInTheDark,

Thank you for these references. We have many native french speakers at SonarSource so we will gladly read your articles.

Cheers,
Nicolas

(Fabrice LUNEAU) #9

Bonjour,

Below I past a draft of the planed next of the previous article, wich
gives HTML tips to accessibility

_Comment écrire du HTML accessible._

*Dans ce document nous expliquerons essentiellement comment écrire du
HTML accessible. D’une manière générale il convient d’utiliser le HTML
de façon sémantique et non visuelle. C’est-à-dire qu’une balise doit
être utilisée pour son rôle et non pour son rendu à l’écran. Car les
lecteurs d’écran s’appuie sur le rôle ou la fonction d’une balise HTML,