Accessibility issues

Bonjour,

I am a blind Java developper and try to use Sonar Qube.
But is not easy because the page of the server are not compliance wit WCGA (Web ). Contente Guideline Accessibility
So I a prefer to used the Eclipseplugin.

For examp(…)le there are no area to split the content,

Header informations Main content of the ppage. menu item ....

</main>

<footer role="contentinfo">
 Footer informations
 </footer>

An I would lie to know if there is a plugin to check accessibility compliance

Cordialement

2 Likes

Hello @CoderInTheDark

First of all, I’m really sorry for your inconvenience with SonarQube. Unfortunately, SonarQube was not designed in an inclusive way, and we have a lot of accessibility debt that we are aware of.

For 2019, the User Experience team at SonarSource committed to make our software more accessible to visually impaired users. We will start by addressing the needs of partially sighted people, like colorblind users, by enhancing everything relating to contrasts, color accessibility, and typography accessibility.

Then, our next challenge might be to make SonarQube accessible to blind users. We are eager to make it possible to use assistive technology like screen readers. We currently acknowledge that our markup architecture is not ready for this, and we sincerely apologize for it. We will probably need to do research and trainings in the future to become really good at handling this.

In the meantime, if you know of good resources, or quick wins that our front-end team can implement that would make your life easier, I encourage you to share it with us.

We consider having blind community members to be a huge plus to help us in this journey. I will follow-up with you once we get started on this topic, and I hope we can keep in touch for the future developments of an accessible SonarQube.

Thanks a lot for your feedback

2 Likes

Hi @CoderInTheDark,

To complete the answer from Laura, as Analyzers Product Manager, I can say this is part of our plans for 2019 to have more rules in SonarHTML to make web content more accessible. It means we will implement rules that will help us internally to make SonarQube better on that field but also help other developers make their products better. So your need of a “plugin to check accessibility compliance” should be cover sooner or later by SonarHTML.

In addition to https://www.w3.org/WAI/standards-guidelines/wcag/, do you have any other guidelines that we should study that will help blind developers to have a better user experience ?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

I wrote this article with a freind, but it is in french
https://web.developpez.com/actu/98647/Tutoriel-pourquoi-et-comment-rendre-une-application-Web-accessible-Par-Valerie-HACCART-et-Fabrice-LUNEAU/
https://web.developpez.com/tutoriels/accessibilite-web-theorie/

I also wrote an article about Swing

Today I am too busy to give you more information.

An other guideline from W3C is ARIA(Accessible Rich Internet Application).

The use of parametter of role to give a purpose to tag, is very
important for tag like span or div which have no purpose, or when the
tag have been changed of purpose.

Cordialement

Hi @CoderInTheDark,

Thank you for these references. We have many native french speakers at SonarSource so we will gladly read your articles.

Cheers,
Nicolas

Bonjour,

Below I past a draft of the planed next of the previous article, wich
gives HTML tips to accessibility

_Comment écrire du HTML accessible._

*Dans ce document nous expliquerons essentiellement comment écrire du
HTML accessible. D’une manière générale il convient d’utiliser le HTML
de façon sémantique et non visuelle. C’est-à-dire qu’une balise doit
être utilisée pour son rôle et non pour son rendu à l’écran. Car les
lecteurs d’écran s’appuie sur le rôle ou la fonction d’une balise HTML,
pour retourner les informations aux utilisateurs non-voyants. *Si l’on
souhaite agir sur la présentation il convient d’utiliser les propriétés
CSS.

On peut s’appuyer sur la norme ARIA(Accessible Rich Internet
Application)du W3C et HTML5, qui sont des formidables avancées en
matière d’accessibilité.

Afin de restituer l’information à l’utilisateur le lecteur d’écran,
crée une copie de la page, qui s’appuie sur le code HTML, pour créer une
version accessible à plat.

La page HTML

Lorsque l’internaute non-voyant arrive sur une page, un certain nombre
d’informations lui sont annoncées :

Liste de 3 éléments

Hello,

Just a follow-up on this thread for our community members concerned with accessibility.

With the precious help of @CoderInTheDark the UX and Front-end teams at SonarSource have identified a few improvements that can make SonarQube and SonarCloud more accessible to visually impaired people. Here is a list of tickets we intend to fix in the upcoming weeks:

SONAR-11751 Use semantic elements for the app header, footer etc.

SONAR-11749 Add “Jump to content” link for assistive technology users

SONAR-11748 Headings hierarchy should be semantically correct

SONAR-11688 “Help” link in header is not accessible

SONAR-11685 “Add project to favorites” link is not accessible

SONAR-11684 “Set home” link is not accessible

SONAR-11759 Make Measures graphs accessible

SONAR-11750 Add visible “focus” state on links for keyboard navigation

We’re still in touch with @CoderInTheDark to make things even better in the future. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank him publicly for the time he spent with us, this was truly insightful. We’re grateful for having a strong community willing to help us make things better :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Bonjour,

Voici un lien ver le GitHub de l’article.

Je n’ai pas mis d’images, car je suis toujours à la recherche de graphique libres de droits.

Si vous voulez faire des retours

Cordialement

Je me pose des questions dur la façon dont vous pouvez travailler sur l’accessibilité.
C’est le monde à l’envers,. :smiley:
comment faites vous pour constater les problèmes d’accessibilité ?
Seulement avec les remontées d’informations ?
Dans ce cas vous devez faire une confiance aveugle à un message.

Utilisez vous un lecteur d’écran ? (NVDA, Jaws, Narateur, VoiceOver, Orca, ZoomText)
Utiliser vous des outils tiers ?
Les validateurs W3C donnent des indications.

Si vous utilisez un lecteur d’écrans.
Indiquer les raccourçis claviers dans l’articles peut-il vous aider dans la démarche de mise en accesibilité ?

Ou utilisez vous un outil de testes d’interfaces ?

Bonjour @CoderInTheDark

Yes, indeed, we started using our own product using a screen reader (Voice Over on Mac, mainly). It’s a great way to feel the areas where there’s a lot of friction (of course, as we’re not power users of VO, we might feel more friction than a seasoned user would – still, it’s a great exercice). This method allowed us to find many issues, some of which @Laura already listed. A full list of open accessibility issues/tasks can be found here.

Not all 3rd party tools are helpful to us, as the UI is basically a SPA (Single Page App), which means parts of the DOM are being re-rendered all the time. Some tools cannot handle this scenario. Others fail to find relevant pointers. All in all, we stick to using VO for now.

A post was split to a new topic: Add support for “Accessibility Conformance Testing (ACT) Rules Format 1.0"”

Hello,
I suppose a lot of development happened since 2019 on the topic of accessibility of Sonar products.

In 2022 in our company we made a test of SonarQube regarding accessibility (BITV 2.0, WCAG 2.0, WCAG 2.1) and we would like to communicate the findings with you in order to have them fixed.

Is there a possibility to get involved in this way in the work?

Thank you in advance,
Ildikó

Hi @Ildiko,

Yes, we’ve made a lot of progress since then. You can read a little bit more about our approach here, as well as a company statement here.

As for sharing your findings, first we would like to know:

• What version did you test?
    If you didn’t test using SonarQube 9.7 (or later), your report will probably include a lot of things that are no longer relevant, as we invested major efforts around a11y in 9.6 and 9.7.
    Please also note that more efforts are planned in preparation for the upcoming LTS, which will be released in Q1 2023.
  • What kind of findings do you want to share?
    To give some context, we now work with a specialized company (Deque) to audit our application. These audits are done using automated tools and manual testing using assistive technology. Because of this, we are not interested in getting a list of findings if this list is simply generated using some automated tool; it will likely not include anything more than we already have, and will mostly generate noise and overhead on our side. However, if you want to share some real-world experience using our product, as a user suffering from a disability, this is very valuable to us. In this latter case, I suggest you open a new thread (perhaps a thread per use-case/page?), and share your experience with us. Does that work for you?

Thank you for the useful information. We tested version 9.3. I am glad to hear that there are efforts to make SonarQube accessible in the next LTS releases. Is there any possibility to get information on the accessibility-topics that have been resolved in the next releases of SonarQube?

You can find a non-exhaustive list (some tickets have a lot of sub-tasks) here. This is everything we fixed or plan on fixing between 9.6 and 9.9.

@Ildiko FYI, don’t know if you saw this post here, where we ask for feedback and help on our a11y effort.

Bonjour,

Yes I saw the previous posts (façon de parler :smiley: lol).

I don’t know if iam concerned.

Because finaly I use the Eclipse Plugin instead of using the web application.

For a java developper like me is enough.

And your are dealing with web accessibility of web application.

And I mean no visual items without pictures.

If could give me items in web application that could be helpfull for a java developper, I will test it.

But when I go on it, there are to many items and I don(t know where I could go.

And actually Windows defender boring me by blocking Sonar 9.8.

For last installation I prefered to set up file database, because at home I don’t need a server database.

Cordialement

1 Like

Hello Fabrice,

it is very kind of you to test accessibility issues in web applications. However, we have specialized colleagues for the accessibility tests (in accordance with WAC 2) and we already have the result of the tests of SonarQube in an official document. It is possible to make this document visible to the developers of SonarQube in order to solve the accessibility issues. But the answer was not going into this direction. I will take the pieces of information from the answers and hope to be able to see some advance in the resolving of the accessibility issues.

Just another important thought here: for our software development tools there are several restrictions, among others the accessibility of the tools for those who live with impairments and work for our company. So it is not related to somebody special as a person, but it is an internal compliance requirement. After all, we all grow old and have more and more problems with out vision, hearing, etc. It is „essential for some, useful for all”.

~WRD0000.jpg