What should be SonaLint vs SonarQube version compatibility

The violations reported in sonarlint eclipse plug-in are not aligned with the violations reported by SonarQube server

I’m using in my project the following:

• SonarQube - Version 5.6.1
  • SonarLint for Eclipse 4.0.0.201810170711 org.sonarlint.eclipse.feature.feature.group
  • Eclipse IDE for Enterprise Java Developers:Version: 2018-12 (4.10.0), Build id: 20181214-0600

Getting below exception in eclipse:
“The following plugins do not meet the required minimum versions, please upgrade them on your SonarQube server:
javascript (installed: 3.3.0.5702, minimum: 4.0)
java (installed: 4.15.0.12310, minimum: 5.1)
web (installed: 2.5.0.476, minimum: 2.6)”

Hi @iPasalski,

SonarLint in connected mode get the same (SonarSource) code analyzers, rules and quality profiles than the server. We try to maintain backward compatibility in a way consistent with our LTS strategy: SonarLint should be able to connect to SonarQube LTS (currently 6.7) and more recent versions. Regarding code analyzers, it is a bit more complex to have a clear matrix, but we are trying to support all analyzers that were released at the same time, and then after the LTS.

For older versions like you have, there is no guarantee. We have no automated tests for such old version, so it might break at any time.

Also note that code analyzers have sometimes to adapt their behavior to SonarLint, so we may have to require people to upgrade their analyzers in order to have a good SonarLint experience. Each SonarLint release contain an hardcoded list of analyzer minimal supported version.

Hope that help.

you support third party scanning?
I guess that the cause of most of the misalignments
that our current rules configured in the SonarQube:
FindBugs Java 368
PMD Java 32
Checkstyle Java 20
SonarAnalyzer Java 11
Find Core Hacks Java 1
Total - 432 active rules

SonarLint doesn’t support third party analyzers.

Hi Julien,

We have 6.7.3 version on our SonarQube server, Making analysis in the server im getting 206 issues.

And i have sonarlint 3.6 in my eclipse, with the project binded, executing analysis over eclipse im getting 187 issues.

Seems that there is different rules in my eclipse and over the server. I was updating the project binding many times, but the result is same.

Besides i was changed the sonarlint version to the latest 4, but same result.

Could you tell me any reason why my eclipse does not have the same rules from de server?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Antraxa_Antraxo,

Please start a new thread to ask a new question. I will avoid spamming original thread participants.

Also please read the FAQ: Frequently asked questions since your question is probably answered already.