Visual Studio Binding - Always throw an Error

VS 2015
SonarLint Extn :- 4.7.0.3891
Authentication is done via - Token

Error Description :- Failed to bind the solution to SonarQube project, try again.
See more information in the output window (SonarLint).

Output window:-
Binding solution to SonarQube project: Download quality profile(s):
Successfully downloaded quality profile. Name: ‘’, Key: '****’, Language: ‘C#’
Successfully downloaded quality profile. Name: ‘Sonar way’, Key: ‘******************’, Language: ‘VB.NET
INFO: SonarLint connected mode no longer installs the analyzers NuGet packages. The analyzers embedded in the VSIX are used instead.
Binding solution to SonarQube project: Generating project rule sets
Checking for suppressions…
Number of suppressions found: 65

Could you provide some more info about what is happening, please?

• What types of project do you have in the solution?
  • Have any of the projects been bound successfully (i.e. a new ruleset will have been generated for the project, and the project will have been updated to reference the new ruleset)?
  • Is the error always occurring at the same point i.e. when processing a particular project?

Thank you.

Hello Duncan,

Thanks for the swift response.

The initial binding was successful and I have checked in the .sonarlint folder in TFS with new Rulesset binded to every project.

But later some developer when they took the latest codebase and tried to bing the solution with SonarLint started facing this Issues, So i did try to investigate and found that its appearing in my VS 2015 as well.

Remaining please have the answers for your Questions :-

• What types of project do you have in the solution? - We work with .net
  • Have any of the projects been bound successfully (i.e. a new ruleset will have been generated for the project, and the project will have been updated to reference the new ruleset)? - Yes only initially, and later we are keep on getting the error I have mentioned above. To override the error and update the rules I have to delete the .sonarlint Folder and files inside. But the drawback is SonarLint checkout the entire solution projects again even though there were no changes. :frowning:
  • Is the error always occurring at the same point i.e. when processing a particular project? - Yes, Its not at a particular project but for the entire solution

Kindly let me know if you need further information.

Hi Pradeep.

FYI I’ve managed to repro the bug locally. It’s being tracked by ticket SLVS #801.

The ticket contains a workaround. Could you let me know if it works for you please?

Thanks,
Duncan

Hello Duncan,

Thanks for checkin back. I am on vacation now a days and will be back in February. I will have a look once i am back to work

Warm regards

Pradeep Bora

Enjoy your holiday :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Duncan

Hello Duncan,

I am back from my vacation, The workaround works for us with limited functionality.

SonarLint still checks out all the projects even there is no change

Please let me know when you have stable release for this bug.

Warm Regards
Pradeep Bora

Issue #801 (error when updating a binding) was fixed in SonarLint for Visual Studio v4.8.

Issue #635 (files being marked as checked out even if they haven’t changed): we investigated this but haven’t managed to reproduce it. There is more information about what we tried in the ticket. Feel free to update the ticket with more information if you can help us with a repro.

Kind regards,
Duncan

We are still having the Issue

duncanp Could you please update on #801 we are facing this with 4.8 too.

FYI there have been a number of updates to the binding code in the recent versions of SLVS. If this problem still occurs with the latest version (v4.16) please let us know. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.