Using SonarLint without connected mode

please provide:

• Operating system: Windows 10
  • IDE name and flavor/env: all: IntelliJ, Eclipse, VSCode

And a thorough description of the problem / question:
I have been using SonarLint in my IDE for several years. I would like to share it with my team mates, but I am looking for ideas on how to share rules across various IDEs.

Everything I find suggests using “connected mode”, but corporate policy (and devops capacity) will not support that. So I am looking for guidance on how to use SonarLint effectively, in a team, on various IDEs, without connected mode. I am having trouble finding any guidance on how to leverage SonarLint without connected mode.

Hello @jec and welcome to the Sonar community forum!

but corporate policy (and devops capacity) will not support that.

Does it mean your network policies disallow the connection from SonarLint to SonarQube?

So I am looking for guidance on how to use SonarLint effectively, in a team, on various IDEs, without connected mode.

If I understand correctly, you’re using a customized set of active/unactive rules, and you would like to share such configuration with your teammates without connected mode - is that correct?
Today, SonarLint does not have any functionality to help you achieve that, as we prioritized our efforts towards connected mode. However, there is a feature idea (without ETA) in our roadmap that you can follow.

Marco

Hey Marco,

Thanks. Your answer is clear, if disappointing. The issue is that there is no central server on which we have permission to deploy SonarQube, and the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly. I suspect that we will want to customize rules, so yes, I’m looking for a way to share those rules - similar to the way we can (imperfectly) share code formatting rules across IDEs. I will go vote for the feature. :slight_smile:

Julie

2 Likes