Upgrade Sonarqube from 8.9.8 developer edition to 9.9 LTS developer edition

My Current Server Profile is as follows:

A virtual machine running on KVM.
SonarQube version: Developer Edition (sonarqube-developer-8.9.8.54436), deployed using the zip file.
Database: PostgreSQL (version - 12.15)
WebServer: Apache
Java Version: Java 11

As SonarQube 9.9 requires, java 17, I have installed Java 17 on the server now.

java 17.0.7 2023-04-18 LTS
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 17.0.7+8-LTS-224)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.7+8-LTS-224, mixed mode, sharing)

The server is a production server and lots of projects are currently running on it. I would like to upgrade my SonarQube 8.9.8 developer edition to 9.9 LTS version.

Could someone help me out with the below questions:

1. Is 9.9LTS is a developer edition or has a separate developer version? If yes, where can I get the download file?

2. Is it possible to upgrade straight away from 8.9.8 developer edition to 9.9LTS version? Or do I need to upgrade to intermediate version to finally reach 9.9?

3. Will there be any compatibility issues after the upgrade?

4. Do we have any proper documentation with step by step upgrade process?

Thanks

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

We try to keep it to one topic per thread. Otherwise it can get messy, fast. I’ll answer your questions here, but if you have followup questions, I reserve the right to ask you to create new threads.

1. You can download all the editions from the downloads page

2. Yes, you can upgrade straight from the previous LTS to the current one.

3. There shouldn’t be, other than the required Java version upgrade that you’ve already noted.

4. We think it’s proper. :sweat_smile:
    And let us know if you find it unclear.

HTH,
Ann

Hi,

Thank you for the response. But what I really confused is here about the current version I am running on the server. It says Developer Edition (sonarqube-developer-8.9.8.54436).

1. Is this the LTS version? Or just a normal Developer version?

2. If this is not the LTS version, 9.9LTS straight upgrade is not possible. In that case, what will be the upgrade procedure?

3. Once the requirements are met, the upgrade process is just about unzipping the new files to a new folder and editing the configuration files accordingly and further proceeding in the SonarQube Dashboard?

Please could you shed some light on the above points?

Thanks
Shiva

Hi Shiva,

SonarQube 8.9.* is the previous LTS. The current LTS is 9.9.1. And you can absolutely upgrade straight from 8.8.9 to 9.9.1. The docs explain the migration path.

They also provide the upgrade steps. And yes, it’s essentially unzipping the new bundle, and then configuring and spinning it up.

HTH,
Ann

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.