Ubuntu install and partitioning

Hello,
I was asked to provide an Ubuntu server to host a SonarQube install.
I find nothing about partitioning (e.g. for 100GB ou 200GB disk space) and best practices for sizes of /var(/log), /home, /tmp, /opt, /usr/local, for SonarQube to work well.
Should all these be mounted as different partitions ? or just give all space to ‘/’ ?
Or should any standard Ubuntu best practice be followed ?

Thanks

Hello @jul ,

welcome to the community :wave:

we can’t give you fixed values for this as this is dependent on the load and the design of your system(s). If you for example have the database on the same system you should create a different partition pattern as if you were using a dedicated database server for that.

in general you can take a look at our documentation regarding hardware recommendation and requirements here: Prerequisites and Overview | SonarQube Docs

if you are still unsure about the partition layout, you can create a LVM and grow it per demand. there is a nice documentation about how to resize lvm partitions at Thomas Krenn.

Hello Tobias, thanks for your quick answer.
So basically what i understand is i should separate them all so that if one needs increasing it can be done independently.
I assume our client will install the DB locally, otherwise he wouldn’t have asked for 200GB, but he didn’t tell us…
The prerequisites part of the documentation is very brief and doesn’t talk about partitioning…
I have no problem resizing an LVM, I just don’t want to put it all in ‘/’ and then because the logs are filling the system the client asks to separate them, it then becomes a nightmare…
Also if I give 1/3 of the space or more to /home and nothing uses /home, it’s wasted space
At least I’d like to know which subfolders are used and which are not.

I hope this is kind of clear

Hi @jul ,

sorry for the delayed answer i was off yesterday.

and reading your reply i think i understand where the question is coming from. sonarqube does not write outside the sonarqube install (sonarqube home) directory, if you don’t configure it to do so (sonar.path.data, or sonar.path.temp etc.), so depending on where you install sonarqube, you should make some space there. if the database is installed on the same system (what i really would not recommend), you need to reserve space for the DB as well.
As for the size this completely depends on the amount of data that will be pushed to SQ.

hope that answers your question

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.