TFVC not supported by SQ 7.4

After upgrading to SQ 7.4, the latest version 2.1.2 of TFVC (sonar-scm-tfvc) is not supported. They did fix SQ 7.4 compatibility but have not released any new version since 2.1.2 (May 2016).

I submitted an Issue to see if they can build a new release.

I just wanted to let you know because list of plugins supported shows TFVC.
https://docs.sonarqube.org/display/PLUG/Plugin+Library

Unfortunately, I had to roll back production SQ to version 6.5 until this gets resolved. Thx.

Wayne,

Nobody owns this repo (hence why it’s in the SonarQubeCommunity organization) so it’s unlikely you’ll see any PRs merged or releases done. If you’re interested in adopting it, I’m pretty sure you can post in the Plugin Development forum and start that process. :slight_smile:

(Note that it still shows up in the plugin library you referenced because it is usable on the current LTS, 6.7)

Colin

Hi Colin,
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried to compile the latest source code but got errors pulling Maven dependencies from a snapshot repo which I guess I don’t have access to… :frowning: So was hoping someone could help me since I’m a Maven/Java noob. I’ll post on that SonarQubeCommunity. Thx.

I’m curious, do you want to use this because you have legacy TFVC repos? Microsoft has pretty much stopped investing in TFVC and encourages all new repos go Git instead.

Hi Colin,
Unfortunately we are still on TFS 2015 and have many TFVC repos. New teams are being on-boarded to use Git repo though but we still have to support TFVC… :frowning: Next year we plan to upgrade to latest on premise TFS 2018/2019 before migrating to Azure DevOps.

@Colin,

Could you please provide supporting evidence for, "Microsoft has pretty much stopped investing in TFVC ".

Also, let’s be clear about what we are talking about Team Foundation Server (TFS) supports two version control tools: TFVC and Git. TFS is not going anywhere just it’s name keeps changing (VSTS, Azure DevOps Server, etc… ) and is supported in both cloud and on-prem versions.

I don’t think TFVC is going anywhere anytime soon. It’s large Enterprise customers who tend to buy these products (and thus likely also your Commercial and Enterprise SW) and as mentioned, there is a significant installed base that needs to be supported.

TFS itself supports Work Item Mgmt, Test, Mgmt, Release Mgmt, etc. and is definitely not going anywhere any time soon. I don’t know what functionality the tfvc-scm-plugin provides the OP is looking for, but there’s likely more users looking for this to work.

@wayne639 This is strange and should not happen: Can you send the error trace?

I would agree with @ianw that MS will continue to support TFVC. The SonarQube TFVC plug-in provides a great feature such as tracking exact line number changes by each user ID.

Lol…I also hate how MS keeps changing the TFS cloud version product name…

@dbolkensteyn , I posted the Maven build dependency error here. Would you like me to provide the full build log?

Looks like Michiel posted few days ago to requested someone to build a new release:

To be clear I’m just discussing TFVC, not TFS/the tool formerly known as TFS.

Microsoft themselves recommends using Git unless there’s a specific need for centralized version control: Git and TFVC version control - Azure Repos | Microsoft Learn

Git is the default version control provider for new projects. You should use Git for version control in your projects unless you have a specific need for centralized version control features in TFVC.

With Microsoft investing in Git as their default, our investments also focus on Git rather than TFVC!

That said, the plugin remains available to the community to adopt (and has been since early 2016, I believe)

@wayne639 Thanks - I’ve answered the build error question in your GitHub issue.

As this is a community plugin, I would suggest to continue the discussion there, for other potentially interested contributors or maintainers to see.