Support & Status of Perforce Plugin

Hi! :grin:

Currently, the Perforce plugin (https://github.com/SonarQubeCommunity/sonar-scm-perforce) is not working for SonarQube 7.4.
According to the plugin version matrix (https://docs.sonarqube.org/display/PLUG/Plugin+Version+Matrix), the plugin is incompatible starting with version 7.3.

Is there a possibility that the plugin will be supported for the current (and upcoming) SonarQube releases?

Thanks for your help!

Hey there,

This plugin was deprecated by SonarSource some time ago and moved into our SonarQubeCommunity repo. Nobody is currently maintaining it, and it makes use of APIs that are no longer in the most recent versions of SonarQube.

If you are looking for a side-project, feel free to ask about adoption. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Colin

1 Like

May I ask why is it deprecated? Perforce is still a valid SCM tool. Big companies use it for better or worse (like mine). Iā€™m trying really hard to sell our organization on SonarQube (instead of Coverityā€“yuck) and Perforce support will be an issue (along with Groovy support).

If perforce is no longer supported, is there recommended way to still use SonareQube 7.6 if we use Perforce?

As for the plugin, it seems others have been submitting pull requests to enable support the new APIs and fix issues. Is the only way to get those changes merged or the plugin updated is to get a new maintainer? It seems that SonarSource employees would be best suited to make sure the pull requests or source changes will work with the new SonarQube APIs.

-Jeff

1 Like

Hello @dh3008 ,

we also use Perforce and faced the same compatibility problem. After a request from my colleagues I upgraded P4 plugin to be compatible with SonarQube 7.4. Itā€™s been used for a while in our projects.

Iā€™ve submitted the code in a PR on GitHub: https://github.com/SonarQubeCommunity/sonar-scm-perforce/pull/19/commits
However, since the project is not being maintained, the PR canā€™t be merged.

@Colin what do I have to do to get the updated plugin adopted? Just publish a post - in the way it is done here, for example? [NEW RELEASE] Ansible Plugin 2.1.0

2 Likes

As noted by my colleague @ganncamp

I believe Ann takes it from there. :slight_smile:

Quick note: you will need to make sure the plugin meets all the requirements for Deploying to the Marketplace (and if you could make sure itā€™s compatible with v7.7 of SonarQube, that would warm my heart :slight_smile: )

Colin

3 Likes

OK, I will do my best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @Colin ,

sorry for being out of touch so long. Iā€™ve read the requirements for deploying a plugin. And the main thing I canā€™t figure out at the moment - is how to merge my pull request into the sonar-scm-perforce repository. Only those with write access to this repository can merge pull requests. As far as I understand, the owners of the repository abandoned the project long time ago. But they did a great amount of work and most of the requirements for deploying a plugin are already implemented in this repository. So Iā€™m not sure if it would be a good idea to migrate this project to another repository where I have write access and can merge my upgrade.

Any suggestions / ideas how to deal with this situation are welcome. Unfortunately, I am new to the plugin development, no prior experience with ā€œhow it is normally done the right wayā€ :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Colin
@ganncamp

Could you help @SameOldSong with his question? We would really appreciate it, if this problem could get solved and the perforce plugin would work again!
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

Hi guys,

Let me try to make this a little clearer. All of the plugins in the SonarQubeCommunity organization donā€™t have maintainers. So there is no one to merge a pull request.

At the same time, we invite interested parties to step up and become the new maintainers of these repos (with full rights to merge PRs, releaseā€¦).

Ā 
:slight_smile:
Ann

Hi @ganncamp, Hope you are well! I am a senior product manager at Perforce managing half of our VCS (Helix Core, Helix Swarm, Integrations and Technology Partnership) portfolio and. I am hoping that our organisations can work together to move this plugin forward. Could we request to become the co-maintainers of this plugin? Best, Wrishi

1 Like

Hi Wrishi,

Nope.

But you can certainly ask to be the maintainers. :smile:

Send me the GitHub ID of the account this repository ownership should be transferred to, please.

:slight_smile:
Ann

1 Like

@ganncamp no exactly what we wanted but it will do :wink: I have a Perforce GitHub account (wbasupm), but I wonā€™t be doing the coding, so perhaps you can give the above user the required rights so that I can pass it on to one of our engineers later?

Hi,

Iā€™ve set the internal wheels in motion. You should hear something soon. Feel free to ping (@) me if you donā€™t hear something within a week or so.

Ā 
Ann

Thanks very much G Ann :slight_smile: Just to confirm, if we test the plugin with SonarQube community edition, that will also ensure that it will work with the other 3 paid editions?

Iā€™m not going to throw around word like ā€œensureā€ or ā€œguaranteeā€ because as soon as I doā€¦ :slight_smile:
But yes. Test with Community Edition & if thereā€™s a problem with the other editions itā€™s on our side.

Ā 
Ann

1 Like

Hi @wbasupm,

I just transfered you the repo ownership.

Let me know if the transfer completed succesfully

1 Like

Thanks @jerome.boccard I will move it Perforceā€™s GitHub domain and get it checked!

The new home for the plugin: https://github.com/perforce

@dh3008, @SameOldSong - Sonar Source has kindly moved the perforce plugin to Perforceā€™s ownership so that we can move this forward together. I will try and find a way to get he merge request approved. In order for me to help on that, would you please reach out to me? My GitHub user is wbasupm

2 Likes

Great news @wbasupm Iā€™m willing to help you move the plugin. Just tell me what I need to do.

3 Likes