Sonarqube upgrade to latest ver 8.9 LTS

Hi we need support on upgrade of our sonarqube from 7.9.2 to 8.9
we are running on Linux
Do you have step by step guide for this upgrade?
If i upgrade from zip file, will it keep all current settings and info, how to transfer this new version?

I see this link, but it does not provide more details on upgrade!!?
https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/setup/upgrading/

I don’t see any option to request for support, i see their service desk site - https://services.sonarsource.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa,
but it is asking for login!? how to register for this support?

Appreciate your help on this, thanks

Hi @subramadluru ,

Welcome to SonarSource community! :sonarsource:

Yes. See links here to familiarize yourself with the changes:

Then here are more guide-oriented lists:

See Upgrade guide

Update the contents of sonar.properties and wrapper.conf files (in $NEW_SONAR_HOME/conf ) with the settings of the related files in the $OLD_SONAR_HOME/conf directory (web server URL, database, ldap settings, etc.). Do not copy-paste the old files. If you are using the Oracle DB, copy its JDBC driver into $NEW_SONAR_HOME/extensions/jdbc-driver/oracle

For plugins, see this:

There was a change starting in SonarQube 8.5 where first-party language analyzer, authentication, and SCM plugins are now bundled into the core of SonarQube, no longer provided as plugins.

For more details I recommend reading this community guide: SonarQube v8.5 and Beyond: Where did all the plugins go?.

The upgrade is that simple, that’s why there’s not much to say. Please let me know what kind of information you are looking for after review the links above.

This community forum is your form of support since that support channel is for commercial ($) support. Do you have a commercial support account? If not, see here for more info If you are interested. If you want commercial support, just let me know here.

Joe

@Joe
Thank you so much for detailed reply.
I am doing this upgrade for first time and that too in Prod, we don’t have any dev instance to test this upgrade.
Can you help me with this upgrade with live support incase something goes wrong.
yes we have valid dev license, how do we know if we have commercial support, how to reach out to you to get this support.
Thank you.

Hi @subramadluru ,

You are welcome to ask as many questions as needed here to assist you. We don’t have any commitment nor SLA in this forum, so having commercial support is much better. Please check with the owner of the dev license and we’ll have someone check with you about this. I’ll message you privately about details.

Joe

Hi @Joe
Thank you for help on this, I am planning to do this upgrade this week or next week. I am hoping you can help me with this.
Can we upgrade direct from 7.9.2 to 8.9.0, or do we have to upgrade in-between version?
What are the folders we need to backup before upgrade for restore, incase if upgrade fails!?
We are using SQL DB, do we have to backup DB also?
How much space do we need for this upgrade on the Linux server?

Thank you.

Hi @subramadluru ,

Yes, you can upgrade from 7.9.2 to 8.9.0 (actually, we just released 8.9.1, so use that version instead).

You need to backup your database, the $SONARQUBE_HOME/conf folder, and any 3rd party plugins you want to keep. You should test your upgrade on test environment, not production environment.

Yes, always back up your DB.

I do not know and we do not provide a known recommendation since each user’s environment is very different and depends on many factors including database size, hardware specs, etc. You should test on test environment first to see how much space you will need. Please review the Platform Notes for Linux here: https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/requirements/requirements/

Regards,
Joe

@Joe
Thank you for your response, Yes we have taken DB backup and Linux server clone.
Planning to do upgrade this evening at 5 pm CDT, will you be available standby if i need any help with this upgrade? or any of your team member will be available?
thank you and appreciate your help.

Hi Support team
In which config file, we have to update https and url for sonarqube after upgrade?
thank you.

Check your sonar.properties file and see if you need to adjust it there. If you have load balancer or proxy server or web server, then you may have to change it there instead.

@Joe
I have unzipped new version of SQ, updated both config files sonar.properties and
trying to start the service, but getting below error!!
i am not getting any logs also! no log info to all to check why this error?

linux-x86-64]$ sudo systemctl status sonarqube.service
● sonarqube.service - SonarQube service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/sonarqube.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Fri 2021-06-25 17:54:28 CDT; 2s ago
Process: 3762 ExecStart=/opt/sonarqube/bin/linux-x86-64/sonar.sh (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 3762 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

thank you.

@Joe
Fixed this by copying startup.sh from old bin and changed jar file path.
I could start the sonarqube, it is upgrade successfully.
I don’t see the plugins in new version, pls help me on how to copy all those plugins we had in the prev version.
Thank you.

@Joe
I am getting below error in web.log!, can you help me to resolve this?

2021.06.25 18:22:50 ERROR web[AXpFdttAQt1KN4pWAAB/][o.s.s.p.UpdateCenterClient] Fail to connect to update center
org.sonar.api.utils.SonarException: Fail to download: https://update.sonarsource.org/update-center.properties (no proxy)
at org.sonar.core.util.DefaultHttpDownloader.failToDownload(DefaultHttpDownloader.java:155)
at org.sonar.core.util.DefaultHttpDownloader.readString(DefaultHttpDownloader.java:113)

Hi @subramadluru,

There was a change starting in SonarQube 8.5 where first-party language analyzer, authentication, and SCM plugins are now bundled into the core of SonarQube, no longer provided as plugins.

For more details I recommend reading this community guide: SonarQube v8.5 and Beyond: Where did all the plugins go?.

@subramadluru :

This error is because you do not have proxy set up or you should disable Update Center (aka Marketplace) via sonar.updatecenter.activate and set to false.