Sonarqube plug-in for Analyzing PeopleSoft's proprietary language "PeopleCode"

Hello All,
I am posting this topic because I couldn’t find answers my questions in the community or on the internet. I don’t have access to Marketplace either.
Would appreciate if someone can shed their light on the this topic and the questions below:

I have three questions.
Q1) Why Sonarqube did not include PeopleCode in their list of supporting languages even when PeopleSoft was/ and still is a very popular ERP product like SAP?

Q2) Has someone already tried creating a plug-in in Sonarqube for analyzing “PeopleCode” ? Or is there a plug in already available in the Marketplace?

Q3) Is it possible to develop a Sonarqube plug-in by ourselves to analyse PeopleCode? Are there any limitations?

The reason I am asking is because, this product (PeopleSoft) has been in the market for around 20 years and is very popular. Hence its very surprising that a plug-in is not available in the market to analyze this code.
I could be wrong. But as I said, any info would be of great help.

Regards,
RaghuK

Hi RaghuK,

Welcome to the community!

I’m not aware of a plugin to analyze PeopleCode. Presumably it would be possible to code one yourself. Here are the docs to get you started. Feel free to come back here and open new threads in the Plugin Development category with specific development questions.

Ann

@ganncamp
Thank you very much. I went through in detail about the steps needed to develop a plug in.
and i have some questions. it would be great if you can answer them.

1. It is not clear whether the matrices and Rules have to created by us or do we use the existing matrices and rules available in SonarQube as part of the plugin development for Peoplecode.

2)what if the existing rules are not relevant for our programming languages? Customer coding rules are not supported except for the 12 (listed below) languages list in the “Adding coding rules” section.
C#
COBOL
Flex
Java
JavaScript
PHP
PL/SQL
PL/I
Python
RPG
VB.NET
XML

1. Where can i see the rules and matrices for the analysis?

Hi,

1. Unfortunately, you don’t just “turn on” rules for your new language. You’re developing a language analyzer from scratch and you’ll decide which rules make sense and then implement them. Alternately, if there’s already some sort of linter available for your language, you can “simply” develop the basic parser and metrics, and then import the linter’s rules and reports.

2. That section is relevant for when you want to add additional, custom rules on top of a SonarSource-supported language; not for you.

3. Uhm… I’m going to assume this question is obviated by my answer to #1.

HTH,
Ann