Please I need help concerning the setup for sonarqube developer edition because the explanation they gave on their documentation is confusing me. i want to use MSSQL for the database and please is there a video or a very simple guide to the whole setup
Hi @mastert002 ,
Welcome to SonarSource Community!
We don’t have a video or formal guide, but it’s much easier than you think.
Prerequisites and Overview | SonarQube Docs
- Make sure you meet the hardware requirements and review the platform notes
- Make sure you are using MS SQL Server 12.0, 13.0, 14.0, or 15.0
- See Installing the Database and click on “Microsoft SQL Server” to read about the requirements
Create an empty schema and a sonarqube user. Grant this sonarqube user permissions to create, update, and delete objects for this schema.
- Following Installing SonarQube from the ZIP File if you are using the ZIP file, otherwise follow the Docker instructions in the link I just gave.
- That’s it! Now you have SonarQube running on your server and you can now run the Sonar Scanner on a client machine.
If the official documentation is too much for you, you can check out this series of guides (10 parts): SonarQube: Installation Walkthrough for Windows and SQL Server Express – Improve & Repeat
It’s a little old and it references SQL Server Express, but it roughly explains how to do it. You may have trouble with some of the outdated references, but most of it is up-to-date enough. If you have problems, just return here with your questions.
Thank you Joe,
On the STEP 4 are you saying I am not going to run the sonar scanner on the server?. I want to know what you mean by installing it on the client. Because currently now that is where I am stuck. I have tried configuring for .Net and others but not successful but all this on same server where I installed the sonarqube.
Hi @mastert002 ,
No, typically you run the Sonar scanner on another machine (like a CI build or a developer’s machine), where its results are then submitted to the SonarQube server (via
sonar.host.url that you set in your Sonar analysis parameters with Sonar scanner).
I suggest you download the Sonar Scanner CLI and download it here and create a simple project (like a single
.js file) and scan it.