Sonarqube Developer Edition installation on Windows Server 2016

Please I need help concerning the setup for sonarqube developer edition because the explanation they gave on their documentation is confusing me. i want to use MSSQL for the database and please is there a video or a very simple guide to the whole setup

Hi @mastert002 ,

Welcome to SonarSource Community! :sonarsource:

We don’t have a video or formal guide, but it’s much easier than you think.

Download SonarQube here. You want to set up SonarQube first before you apply your license key (see License administration). Please carefully review this documentation in this order:

1. https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/requirements/requirements/
    • Make sure you meet the hardware requirements and review the platform notes
    • Make sure you are using MS SQL Server 12.0, 13.0, 14.0, or 15.0
  2. See Installing the Database and click on “Microsoft SQL Server” to read about the requirements
    • Create an empty schema and a sonarqube user. Grant this sonarqube user permissions to create, update, and delete objects for this schema.

3. Following Installing SonarQube from the ZIP File if you are using the ZIP file, otherwise follow the Docker instructions in the link I just gave.
  4. That’s it! Now you have SonarQube running on your server and you can now run the Sonar Scanner on a client machine.

If the official documentation is too much for you, you can check out this series of guides (10 parts): https://improveandrepeat.com/2017/11/sonarqube-installation-walkthrough-for-windows-and-sql-server-express/

It’s a little old and it references SQL Server Express, but it roughly explains how to do it. You may have trouble with some of the outdated references, but most of it is up-to-date enough. If you have problems, just return here with your questions.

Joe

Thank you Joe,

On the STEP 4 are you saying I am not going to run the sonar scanner on the server?. I want to know what you mean by installing it on the client. Because currently now that is where I am stuck. I have tried configuring for .Net and others but not successful but all this on same server where I installed the sonarqube.

Hi @mastert002 ,

No, typically you run the Sonar scanner on another machine (like a CI build or a developer’s machine), where its results are then submitted to the SonarQube server (via sonar.host.url that you set in your Sonar analysis parameters with Sonar scanner).

I suggest you download the Sonar Scanner CLI and download it here and create a simple project (like a single .js file) and scan it.

Once you do that, try this sample .NET project in our sonar-scanning-examples repository and cd sonarqube-scanner-msbuild/CSharpProject/ and follow the readme.