SonarLint Version 9.x is no longer available in Eclipse Update site

Hi @Pasc,

thank you for your response, I’d like to offer you some answers to your questions. The first thing I noted down is for us to improve the documentation about where it is stored, what will change on an update, and so on.

• Yes there will be a new JRE bundled with SonarLint from now on: I see your point and for now, I can only assure you that we on our side make sure that the JRE does not have vulnerabilities. If at some point there is a vulnerability found with the JRE, we will provide an update to SonarLint with a JRE bundled not vulnerable.

• I’m aware of cases like your strict environment so here is as much information as possible I can provide to you:
    The JRE is coming via an Eclipse plug-in fragment, so it is downloaded when you download SonarLint and not afterward or at runtime. The JRE 17 being platform-specific, it is stored in the IDE installations’ Eclipse plugin directory in the folder
    org.sonarlint.eclipse.sloop.{OS, e.g windows}.{architecture, e.g. x64}_{plug-in version}
    alongside libraries and our script starting the SonarLint part that is out of process.
    Therefore, the path will be changing with every update, but the JRE inside of it might not.

• We provide a JRE with SonarLint for Windows x64, macOS x64/aarch64, Linux x64/aarch64. For all other platforms we don’t ship a JRE and will rely on the user providing one.

• For your testing, could you please reach out (via a new thread please), if you encounter something breaking or something blocking? That would be much appreciated.

Also for additional questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to us!

Best,
Tobias

1 Like