SonarLint Eclipse / Java 1.8

I’m trying to run SonarLint (6.2) on an old Eclipse instance with Java 1.8 (due to very old plugins), project bound to SonarQube Developer Edition 9.9. When analyzing file, I can see in the SonarLint log:

Plugin 'HTML Code Quality and Security' requires JRE 11 while current is 1.8. Skip loading it.
Plugin 'Java Code Quality and Security' requires JRE 11 while current is 1.8. Skip loading it.
Plugin 'JavaScript/TypeScript/CSS Code Quality and Security' requires JRE 11 while current is 1.8. Skip loading it.
Plugin 'PHP Code Quality and Security' requires JRE 11 while current is 1.8. Skip loading it.
Plugin 'Python Code Quality and Security' requires JRE 11 while current is 1.8. Skip loading it.

followed by:

Load plugins (done) | time=10ms
Unable to start the SonarLint engine
java.lang.IllegalStateException: The plugin [kotlin] does not support Java 1.8.0_101
at org.sonarsource.sonarlint.core.plugin.PluginInstancesLoader.instantiatePluginClasses(PluginInstancesLoader.java:145)
at org.sonarsource.sonarlint.core.plugin.PluginInstancesLoader.load(PluginInstancesLoader.java:75)
at org.sonarsource.sonarlint.core.plugin.PluginRepository.start(PluginRepository.java:57)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

Is there anything missing in the Kotlin plugin to flag it as non-compatible with Java 1.8 ? I know that Java 11 is the standard, but I can’t easily upgrade the Java version in this case…

Gilles

Hi @gquerret

You are right, our Kotlin analyzer is missing the MANIFEST entry with the JRE min version. I will report this issue internally.

As a side note, if all analyzers are skipped, then SonarLint won’t report any issues. So I don’t see the point of using connected mode.

Thanks @Julien_HENRY !
This also happens with the XML plugin, and the TSQL plugin in the Developer Edition. I don’t have an Enterprise available today, but I’ll do the test a bit later.

Hey there, here is the ticket created to fix the issue.

1 Like

@Leonardo_Pilastri Thank you ! It also looks like the RPG plugin doesn’t have the JRE min version entry.

I informed the team handling the RPG plugin and they created a ticket for that as well, thank you!

1 Like

Hi, In which version of the SonarLint plugin will this bug be fixed?

Hi @rcabrerizo,

du to this topic is quite long with many mentions of incompatible plug-ins, which exact plug-in are you referring to?

This is not an issue with SonarLint but with the plug-in loaded from SonarQube. Therefore it is likely that these incompatible plug-ins were fixed with more recent versions of SonarQube.
But before I can provide you with an exact answer, please provide me with the information :smile:

Best,
Tobias