Sonar Upgrade from 7.9.3 to Latest LTS Sonar

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)
    Currenly I am using Community version of Sonar.

SonarQube : 7.9.3
SonarScanner : 4.5.0.2216
Postgres : 10

• how is SonarQube deployed: zip, Docker, Helm
  1. Sonar : Inside a Docker in a Virtual Machine
  2. Postgres : Inside a Docker in another Virtual Machine
  • what are you trying to achieve
  1. Upgrade Sonar to any LTS or latest LTS version of sonar.
  2. Please suggest something here. 8.9.10 is still 4+ years old. 3. Can i migrate to 9.9.3 directly ?
  • what are the problems that i am having
  1. When i try to run Sonar in 2 VMs and having a Load Balancer over it, i start getting some login issues. Some users are not able to login.
  2. Elastic Search cannot be separated from the sonar which restricts Sonar restarting.
  3. Only single worker to process the sonar reports, which slows down the process.
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this
  1. I have tried to migrate to 8.9.10 but could not succeed because of postgres schema difference.

Expectations

1. Please suggest if I can use licensed version of Sonar.
  2. I need to put forward the pros and cons regarding the licensed version to get the budget.
  3. If I can keep working on the Community version of sonar, then please provide the solution to the above problems.
  4. I also need to be able to run Sonar Analysis on forked branches. Is it possible in the community version of sonar ?

Do not share screenshots of logs – share the text itself (bonus points for being well-formatted)!

Okay, a lot of questions! But first, congratulations on working on your upgrade.

To upgrade your existing data, you will need to first migrate to 8.9.10, and then to 9.9.3.

This is not supported in Community Edition. Installing the server as a cluster requires the Data Center Edition, in a very specific configuration.

I’m not sure what you mean by “restricts Sonar restarting”.

Correct. The Community Edition only allows a single worker. The Enterprise Edition allows you to scale this to 10 workers, and the Data Center Edition further.

You’ll have to be more specific. What specific error did you face?

If you have a license! :smiley: But I expect you mean to ask if you can use an unlicensed version of Sonar. The answer is still yes – there are no limitations to using Community Edition, even in an enterprise environment.

That depends on your needs. You can start exploring the pricing / feature sets here.

Branch analysis is supported starting in the Developer Edition of SonarQube.