Projects page is empty when projects to display is over a specific number

Template for a good bug report, formatted with Markdown:

• versions used (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)
    SonarQube 7.8 Community Edition
  • error observed (wrap logs/code around triple quote ``` for proper formatting)
    We currently have several hundred projects that have been provisioned and analyzed in SonarQube. Once we got over 40 projects analyzed, we noticed that the default page displayed (Projects) no longer contained a list of past analyses. No errors are displayed directly to the user. Searching for projects by name does work, however. When using a network traffic analyzer, I found that the Measures Search API call originating from the Projects page results in a 404 error when the total GET request exceeds 2048 characters.
    An additional side effect of this bug is that filtering functionality is based only on the projects that were last displayed, not on the entire project collection. For example, let’s say you have 5 projects that failed a quality gate, and you have 65 projects that pass. Selecting the filter to display the 5 failing projects, then selecting the filter for passing projects will not update the search results to show the 65 passing projects. The 5 failing projects will remain in view.
    I should also note that we have attempted to re-index ElasticSearch as described in this bug report: New Project not showing on Projects Dashboard Page
  • steps to reproduce
    I navigated to the Projects Administration page (Administration -> Projects -> Management), and marked 39 projects as Favorites, while using Fiddler to inspect the requests being made. Once I selected the 40th project, the Measures API call failed, and the Projects page no longer displayed project analysis history.
  • potential workaround
    A user might rename their projects to use shorter names so that more projects and possibly paging might be displayed. However, it appears that the request length of the Measures Search API seems to override paging. Alternatively, going to the Project Administration page to select from a list would work as well. This might be less than ideal if you are using SonarQube’s permissions to limit user privileges.

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

I’m going to guess you have some sort of (Microsoft?) proxy on your network that’s interfering with this. Can you bypass it?

Ann

1 Like

Hi Ann, thank you! Yes, we have IIS set up as a reverse proxy. It’s set up on the SonarQube server itself to handle HTTPS, so we can’t really work around that. You did get me thinking though, there is a setting in IIS that determines the maximum query string length in bytes - I bumped it up to a larger number and was able to get the projects to display and page as we expected. :partying_face:

1 Like