Migration path from 6.7.2 to latest LTS

Planning Sonarqube upgrade using https://docs.sonarqube.org/latest/setup/upgrading/
We are on 6.7.2 on linux, DB is MS SQL Server. Main code base is Java (but also Angular, Python). Main reason for upgrade - to be able to scan Java 11 and be able to use FindBugs plugin along with SonarJava, as well as to stay current. Docs suggest we must upgrade to each LTS between our version and target. So will it be:
6.7.2 -> 6.7.7 LTS -> 7.9.3 LTS ?
Or is 6.7.2 already considered LTS and I can go directly 6.7.2 -> 7.9.3 LTS ?
Thank you!

Hello @danhersh,

Good point.
It’s often not understood that the LTS is only defined by the first 2 digits of the SonarQube version. The third digits is only a patch level identified.

So any 6.7.x (6.7.1 to 6.7.7) is a LTS. You can safely upgrade directly from 6.7.2 to 7.9.3 !

For the future, this principle of “LTS is defined only by the first 2 digits” does remain… until further notice.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Maybe this should be a separate thread , and I’ll gladly open one if required, but are there upgrade docs that cover elastic search. For example I see some Java version specific settings in jdk.options in elastic search conf but there it goes up to Java 10 while SQ wants Java 11 . I’m also getting :
[1]: max file descriptors [4096] for elasticsearch process is too low, increase to at least [65535]
[2]: max virtual memory areas vm.max_map_count [65530] is too low, increase to at least [262144]
but when I check the limits I see
sysctl fs.file-max fs.file-max = 758268 sysctl vm.max_map_count
vm.max_map_count = 65530
so I’m not sure if I need to increase fs.file-max or not.
Thanks in advance!

That should indeed be a separate thread.

Here’s a quick answer though:

• You should not try to change ElasticSearch configuration. It’s a black box, preset for SonarQube usage.
  • Yes you need to increase a few OS level parameters. It’s described in the 7.9 prerequisites documentation

Please open a new thread if you need more inputs.

Regards

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.