I want to understand how sonarlint detects issue on the fly.Is it doing call to remote server or all rules are sitting locally in the ide

I was going through the intellij-sonarlint git public repo code base(GitHub - SonarSource/sonarlint-intellij: SonarLint for IntelliJ).I am not able to understand the code part of analysing the files for rules… I want to understand how sonarlint detects issue on the fly.Is it making api call to remote server or all rules are sitting locally in the ide?

Hello @Vijay99,

Welcome to the community!

SonarLint always run analyses locally for on-the-fly detection. I realize that this might not be obvious in our documentation.

Hope this helped,
Damien

Thanks @Damien_Urruty for your reply.So if I want to understand the coding part of this (detection issues on the fly ) then apart from GitHub - SonarSource/sonarlint-intellij: SonarLint for IntelliJ where else I can refer to get more insight related to code prospective…any suggestion?

The repo you mentioned is a good start, you could also have a look at GitHub - SonarSource/sonarlint-core: Core library to run SonarLint analysis.

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to achieve ?

I am building intellij plugin for Blubracket to detect secret on the fly.It will be similar to sonarlint intellij plugin.

So sonarlint uses this dependency project GitHub - SonarSource/sonarlint-core: Core library to run SonarLint analysis to analysis the issues ?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You’re right, SonarLint for IntelliJ relies on this SonarLint Core library, where the biggest part of the analysis is made.

There is a Slack community dedicated to JetBrains plugin developers you might be interested to join: Slack Invite | JetBrains Marketplace

Thank you so much @Damien_Urruty for your prompt reply,it really helping me.Sure will join slack channel suggested by you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.