How to interpret large numbers in monitoring metric

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• SonarQube 9.4.0-DE, dockerized
  • what are you trying to achieve
    Understanding metric results, some numbers seem unreasonably high
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this
    Following query to .../api/monitoring/metrics endpoint, we observed results in
    trillions of seconds:
sonarqube_compute_engine_tasks_running_duration_seconds_created{task_type="REPORT",project_key="<REDACTED>",} 1.65164712918E9
sonarqube_compute_engine_tasks_running_duration_seconds_created{task_type="REPORT",project_key="<REDACTED>",} 1.651631999427E9
sonarqube_compute_engine_tasks_running_duration_seconds_created{task_type="REPORT",project_key="<REDACTED>",} 1.651690084503E9

Full report attached.
compute_engine_statistics.log (11.7 KB)

How best would these statistics be visualized?

Hi,

You’ve redacted all the project keys and… I guess sorted the log by duration?

Could you at least provide whether or not the long times are all from the same project set?

Ann

All from different projects. Not sorted, just collected as-is from API

Hi,

So, just all of a sudden everything started taking a very long time? Have you looked at your DB? The network? Because what’s happening is that SonarQube is calculating values and storing them in the DB.

Ann

Not at all, this is the first time we are observing these metrics and not sure of how to interpret them.

Hi,

To be honest, I’m not sure either. I’ve flagged this for more expert attention.

Ann

Hello,

All metrics suffixed with _created corresponds to the time at which the metric was first created, it is defined in the OpenMetrics standard.

This time is expressed in seconds from unix epoch time. You can use websites like epochconverter to transform that to a more human readable time.

For instance 1.65164712918E9 is translated to Wednesday, 4 May 2022 06:52:09.180.

HTH,
Aurélien

2 Likes

Please give me an idea of how to visualize these metrics (in Grafana):
sonarqube_compute_engine_tasks_running_duration_seconds_count
sonarqube_compute_engine_tasks_running_duration_seconds_sum

Is it something like a rate?

_count is the amount of scans
_sum is the total duration

You can have a look at the metric type documentation which also explains how to get meaningful information from it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.