How to create new sonar rule using XPath only for one file extension? (PL/SQL)

• what are you trying to achieve*
    I would like set new custom rule in my project. As it’s PL/SQL related repository I have to do it via XPath.
    In my case I would like to create a rule that shows (for partcular file extension) that SQL keyword ‘FORCE’ have to be used on the beginning of code, during view creation.

COMPLIANT: CREATE OR REPLACE FORCE VIEW…
NONCOMPLIANT: CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW…

Unfortunately there are no info about xpath expressions creation in sonar documentation and in others such info has often nothing to do with sonar rules.

• what have you tried so far to achieve this*
    I was on sonar documentation chapter “Adding Code Rules” as well as browsed half of internet trying to solve this puzzle but I did not find even quite similar issue to mine.

Did you have a look at the documentation page about “Adding coding rules”?
Did you run the SSLR Toolkit for PL/SQL to see how the syntax tree is represented for the code you want to detect?

First question: I already answered in my first post :stuck_out_tongue:

Second question: Yes I can see the syntax tree and my code parsed on XML but there is no further info what I should do with it. I still have to write my Xpath expression on my own using XPath language which I don’t know.

I noticed that our PL/SQL parser doesn’t know about the FORCE clause. I created SONARPLSQL-761 to address this problem.

If you look at the XML tab in the SSLR Toolkit, you can guess that a basic XPath expression such as //CREATE_VIEW will detect all CREATE VIEW statements. As long as SONARPLSQL-761 is not fixed, that will be enough.

If you need to learn XPath, this forum is not the best place…

Sure, thank you very much !

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.