Has anyone seen, used or written a X++ (MS Dynamics) scanner?

Hi there, I’m rather unsure about the category, so I post this here. Pls. move if inappropriate.
We have quite a “big” app written in X++ (that’s a very heavily customized MS Dynamics) and even though it’s on the brink of EOL I still would love to scan it via SonarQube.

Point is I need to put together a risk report and unfortunately that homebrew customized X++ thingie is involved in quite many business processes.

Has anyone heard of or used a scanner for that specific language or has probably an idea on how to write a custom scanner for this language?
I do know how to code, but I’m not a crack at it, so I might need some introduction into developing such a plugin.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Michael

Hi Michael
If this language is quite widly used, I could start a work for/with you on X++.
I would need a syntax description of the language (EBNF if possible), and a huge help from you to define the specific rules you need.
If there a potential for customers ?
Thanks for your answers
Didier

Hi Didier, thanks for your answer.
Well, I’m not sure if it’s that widely used. Like Java or C#
It is the language for Microsoft Dynamics. I “think” that is widely used for sure in a contextual Microsoft environment such as ours.
I got it that MS is culling the on premise MS Dynamics installs and moves everything they have in the cloud.
If it is used there a lot more, or how many programmers actually use X++ I can’t say.

As for a description you can take a look here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamicsax-2012/developer/x-language-programming-guide
There’s also a Sytax description a bit further down on that page.

EBNF would be this: “https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dynamicsax-2012/developer/ebnf-overview” as far as I can determine.

As for the rules, excellent point!
I suppose mostly it would be the same as for all the languages:

• missing coverage
  • not used definitions or branches
  • dangerous usage of data like user input or no usage of DTOs.
  • too high of a complexity.
  • TBD

As for how exactly X++ works I’m at a loss for now, but that can be changed if need be.
All I know for sure is that our programmers heavily twisted it around to realize some functionality which normally couldn’t or maybe better “shouldn’t” be possible.

Regards
Michael

It seams quite close to the C# syntax, good news I have this in my store ! Could we go ahead via skype (cruette.d)?
Didier

Hi Didier,
great news. :smiley:

Yes, we can. I can make some room on WED June 17th. When would it be convenient for you?
Thanks for putting in all that effort already.

I gote get skype first though. Most likely I’ll have to use it privately, as my company doesn’t do custom installs.

Thanks
Michael