Differences between 8.3, 8.7 and 8.9

]Hi, we are currently upgrading our 8.3 CE server to either 8.7.1 or 8.9 Enterprise, and I was wondering what are some of the benefits of each?

The majority of our codebases are written in Python 3.X and Node.js 14 (primarily Vue), using PostgreSQL 10/12 databases on the backend, with our deployment (dev/QA/prod) environments living on OpenShift 4.x. We use Jenkins for CI/CD as well as Helm for automation.

I think 8.9 is not LTS, and we now have some C++ apps that need to be scanned. Also, does 8.7/8.9 support PL/pgSQL? Thanks!

It is an LTS version!

Check out What’s New in SonarQube and the SonarQube v8.9 LTS Announcement

You’ll find supported languages here

1 Like

Thank you for your response!

I have read all of these documents, however, I guess that was why I was asking: are there any significant differences between 8.7 and 8.9? We currently have 8.3 and it is my recommendation that we go with either 8.7 or 8.9 and I am not sure what the difference truly is.

Thanks.

This page contains detailed information what has changed with each version: Release Upgrade Notes | SonarQube Docs (you can click on “Full release notes” for all tickets). SonarQube 8.7 is not supported anymore, so for that reason alone I would already recommend to use 8.9. And of course for all the improvements that happened in 8.8 and 8.9.

Hi,

Hendrik already mentioned, that Sonarqube 8.7 ain’t supported anymore.
As Sonarqube Enterprise admin since 2016, AFAIK you have to go either with the current LTS version - which is 8.9.1 - or with the most recent version to get support by Sonarsource.
That said, there was a statement in their recent webinar, that you will also still get support for 7.9.x, if your migration to 8.9.1 will need some time - 6 month were mentioned.
We will upgrade from 7.9.1 to 8.9.1 next week and surely will update to Sonarqube 9.x when this Jira tickets get released =
https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONAR-14929
https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONAR-11949 (hope this gets more priority soon!)

The Enterprise edition has two test/staging instances included. You should always use a copy of your production database in one staging instance to test the db migration!
In general i had not problems with using the latest version over the years, but hit some serious bugs between 7.9.1 … 8.9.1
I recommend to register @ Sonarsource Jira to keep track of the latest developments, think also of Sonarlint, Jenkins plugin … and visit the community forum regularly.

Gilbert

1 Like