Deactivated rules in child quality profiles are not ignored

• versions used:
    SonarQube server 9.3.0
    SonarScanner 4.6.2.2472

• error observed:
    Deactivated parent rules in custom extended child language quality profiles are still created as issues

• steps to reproduce:

• Extend a language quality profile and mark it as the default
  • Bulk deactivate all code smells rules
  • Scan the project and you will find all code smells issues still reported

PS: Just to make sure I checked Under “Project Information” / “Quality Profiles used” it shows that the custom extended profiles marked as default is being used to scan the project

Hey there.

It’s not possible to deactivate rules that are present in the parent profile – probably you saw this message when bulk deactivating rules.

This means there were no changes done in your Quality Profile.

Checkout this feature request:

https://community.sonarsource.com/t/deactivate-on-extended-profiles/54878

Oh OK, I hope that gets “Fixed” there must be a way to simply ignore specific rules scanning without crafting a new custom profile for every update

Thanks

1 Like

I must say I am boggled.

If I create a quality profile, and cannot deactivate rules, then what is the point of a custom quality profile?

I want to inherit goodies from the parent, yes. But that does not mean the parent has to force stuff down my throat I do not want.
And we cannot simply deactivate it in the parent either, sine the parent does not let edit itself.

I mean, what the … it is exactly as Profile - eegee - Sonar Community says in his post!
If I create a copy of the origin, it is not anymore updated!

This is serious, it makes the whole concept totally unusable. I literally have thousands of “Tabs should not be used” nonsense in my logs, just because PSR2 does not know what accessibility is, and tries to force me to use spaces over tabs.
Yet, that is totally outdated to start with, and … well, we really need to be able to deactivate rules in an extended profile without losing the actual core features!

1 Like

Hi

If you would like to see the ability to deactivate rules in an extended Quality Profile, please can you provide your feedback here.

Thanks

Tom

Hi all,

We’re on track to deliver the ability to deactivate rules in an inherited profile in SonarQube 10.3, ETA early November. :tada:

Ann