Changing Server ID for Staging License

• which versions are you using : SQ 9.2.2.77730 && psql v14
  • how is SonarQube deployed: installed from zip / running as a service on Ubuntu 22.04
  • what are you trying to achieve: a distinct Server ID for staging from production - with license
  • what have you tried so far to achieve this

To create a new staging (dev) environment, I cloned my production app and db VMs in vSphere.
Next steps were to rename the dev hosts and assign new IP addresses
Bringing up the dev system required updating the sonar.properties with the new db IP in jdbc.url.

However, these changes did not change the dev-sonarqube Server ID so requesting a new staging license has revealed the Production and Dev Server IDs are identical.

Does anyone know how I can change my Server ID so that I can get a staging license distinct from my production license ?
(Please be very clear with any db admin commands, as I have very minimal knowledge thus far of postgresql :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: )

Hey there.

Realistically there’s nothing wrong with the two having the same Server ID (likely the result of a database backup and using a JDBC URL like localhost:5432/sonar that is the same across prod and dev.

And, if you really want to nudge the dev instance to have a unique Server ID, you can change the database name to something like sonardev and point your sonar.jdbc.url to the new database.

And, I hope you’re creating a dev environment so you can work on your upgrade to a supported version like v9.9 LTS :smiley:

Okay, that’s great, if a test key can be generated that won’t impact our production system, that’s good enough for me!

And that was a typo - we’re running 9.9.2 (not 9.2.2). I found this issue after a recent upgrade! :slight_smile: Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.