Allow disabling SonarLint banner in Intellij

• which versions are you using (SonarQube, Scanner, Plugin, and any relevant extension)

SonarLint 5.3.0.36775 plugin for IntelliJ

• what are you trying to achieve

Get rid of the light yellow banner at the top of file editor section. It is really annoying to see multiple banners at once. It literally eats up my working area. I use the SonarLint view tab at the bottom of my IDE to peek through the issues.

• what have you tried so far to achieve this

I have come across suggestions to disable the linting rules. I did try disabling the rules and the banner went away. But that is not what I want. I want SonarLint to report those issues but only in the SonarLint view section, not as a banner.

light-yellow-banner

Hi @akmalick and welcome to the SonarSource community.
Thanks for giving us your feedback, it is well appreciated! I have turned your report into a “Suggest new features” thread, so that other users can add to this feedback and vote for this change. Depending on this, we’ll evaluate if to change the current UX.

Let me ask a question, do you plan in fixing those issues generating the banners, or you consider those rules not valuable for the code you are working on?

1 Like

Thank you so much. Really appreciate that.

Honestly I do not plan to address those issues right now. The screenshot that I shared shows just two rules. But I have had the experience of seeing more than 4 or 5 rules showing under the banner which essentially amounts to about a quarter of the available working area of editor assuming the tool window is also open at the bottom. I do consider such rules valuable and do want to be informed about them but not in an invasive way. The SonarLint tool window is always there for us.

After all not all issues need our immediate attention. We can always disable/enable the rules. But being informed about the rule-violations (by way of still being present under the SonarLint tool window) will help in case we forget to re-enable them. Its not much user friendly if one has to keep playing with the enable/disable switch.

My heartfelt thanks to you and the whole Sonar Team for this wonderful plugin. Software Development would have never been the same. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes