Add Rust language support

Hi, do you plan to support Rust language? If yes, do you have a date of availlability?

Rust are in top 5 of the most growing language on GitHub.
Some tools already exist like rust clippy for linting or tarpaulin for code coverage but one tools like SonarQube is very useful for centralizing all information.

Maybe a first start could be to use clippy and tarpaulin as analyzer and integrate results in SonarQube.

4 Likes

Hi @Dawen,

Thank your suggestion and your praise of SonarQube :slight_smile:

We are aware of the popularity of Rust and will consider it when we choose the next language to support. I can’t promise anything yet as we get many requests for different languages.

If other people support this idea they can vote for this thread and share the features they expect (ex: import of rust clippy reports)

Cheers,
Nicolas

7 Likes

Hi @Nicolas_Harraudeau,

Thanks for you reply, I’ve shared this post around me :smiley:.

Cheers,
David

2 Likes

Rust support would indeed be awesome. As being said, rust already has very good linting from the compiler and clippy. Hence, all you would have to do is to import their output into the sonarqube/cloud interface.

Rust was the most loved programming language on stack overflow (see their surveys) over the last three or four years!

6 Likes

Our company has fully used Sonar, including the purchase of a commercial version. However, many teams in the company have started to use rust for development, and it is very necessary for sonar to support rust.

2 Likes

We use SonarCloud and we think it is a great product. We have several repositories that use Rust. Please consider adding Rust as your next supported language.

2 Likes

In our org it would be a big issue in determining SonarQube use for our new microservices instead of other solutions

2 Likes

Just up-voted the rust support. Still I wonder: is this feature request only for on-prem Sonarqube or once it is eventually supported, will it be available in Sonarcloud as well?

2 Likes

Very much would love you to add rust support.

We would definitely use sonar if we had Rust language support

3 Likes

@Nicolas_Harraudeau are there news about Rust support? I see other thread about integrate Clippy output but it end in request SARIF or SonarQube output support to Clippy developers, but there is a reply about how to get a JSON output of Clippy. Could at least that output be integrated into SonarCloud while we get Rust language support?

I too would like rust support in Sonar.

We are very keen to see Rust support in SonarCloud. Our codebase now has a significant proportion of Rust and we don’t want to have to move away from Sonar in order to continue to get coverage and linting information.

1 Like

Hi
We are also starting to move away from Java as a development language and looking at possible options the number 1 choice is RUST.
Due to compliance reasons security checks are necessary and therefore we would like to get Rust support in our commercial Sonarqube deployment

I believe adding Rust support would be very beneficial and Sonarqube can likely take advantage of a lot of Rust’s built-in linting features. Especially since Sonarqube supports Open Source development I think adding Rust is a must.

Looks like there is already some community support starting: GitHub - elegoff/sonar-rust: SonarQube plugin to analyze Rust files

2 Likes

I have successfully tested the sonar rust plugin from GitHub - elegoff/sonar-rust: SonarQube plugin to analyze Rust files and it looks fine so far

1 Like

Looks like it’s not possible to use this in sonarcloud, which we are using in our company… :frowning:

1 Like

I guess the SonarCloud is a hosted SonarQube where only “official” plugins are installed.
I once tried to use a groovy analysis on SonarCloud but also did not work because the Groovy plugin is not owned by SonarSource (just assuming)

My assumption seems confirmed by Add custom plugins - #2 by xbourguignon