We are nearing our "Lines of Code" limit

Must-share information (formatted with Markdown):

• which versions are you using: SonarQube 7.9.2
  • what are you trying to achieve: As an Admin of our SonarQube Service (not a user) would like to know if there is a procedure for identifying and reducing/cleanup our Lines-of-Code use or do I just request our Developers to delete any analyses they no longer need or use? We are close to 50 million lines and I know there should be some cleanup we can do. Appreciate your guidance and support in this matter.

Hi,

Your version is past EOL. You should upgrade to either the latest version or the current LTS at your earliest convenience. Your upgrade path is:

7.9.2 → 8.9.8 → 9.4 (last step optional)

You may find the Upgrade Guide and the LTS-to-LTS Upgrade Notes helpful. If you have questions about upgrading, feel free to open a new thread for that here.

If you upgrade all the way to 9.4, you’ll find a CSV export on the license page which gives you the largest branch of each project, which may be helpful in your quest.

Ann

Thanks Ann for your guidance. Looks like we’ll be upgrading to 9.4 and take advantage of the CSV export from the license page.

1 Like

Hi I am in the process of taking over from Francis and new to SonarQube admin.
As you are aware we are on EOL ver 7.9.2.
We are creating completely new servers with upto date operating systems (win2019) and with this will be reinstalling the SonarQube app.
My question is: with our existing databases at version 7.9.2, is it possible to just install version 9.4 onto the new servers using the old version db’s (will they be upgraded during the install) or do we have to install 7.9.2 first then upgrade via the path 7.9.2 → 8.9.8 → 9.4
Perhaps a simpler way for me to word it would be:
If we did a first-time installation of the current SonarQube release (new server and database) would we be able to import our 7.9.2 database (users, projects, analysis, the works) into this new environment? If so, how can one accomplish this?
Thanks in advance
Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the community!

Neither. :smiley:

You can skip installing 7.9.2 on the new server, but you do need to traverse the normal upgrade path. So install 8.9.8 on the new server & let it do the schema upgrade for you. Then move on to 9.4.

And yes, you’ll point to the same DB throughout.

Nope. It’s just not set up to work that way. Install a fresh 9.4 on a clean DB and it will initialize a 9.4 version of the schema. Try to import your 7.9 data into that, and well… it may not be pretty. SonarQube is engineered to make the upgrades as simple as possible for you. Just let it do its work. :slightly_smiling_face:

HTH,
Ann

That “first-time installation” question is on me. I ask Chris to post it and now that I have 8 hours of sleep under my belt I realize how out of left field it was. My apologies.

1 Like