Sonar Qube upgrade help from 5.6.4 to 7.9.1 LTS

Hi,

We are planning to upgrade Sonar Qube from 5.6.4 to 7.9.1 LTS. Can someone help me whether I can go directly or do an incremental upgrade here?

Thanks,
Krishna

Hi @kommineni,

Welcome to the community forum!
To answer your question, there is a specific path to use, described here. You would need to upgrade from 5.6 LTS to 6.7 LTS and then from 6.7 LTS to 7.9 LTS.

IMO, it would be much easier and simpler to simply start a new instance SonarQube directly on 7.9 LTS from scratch, and onboard your projects on it.
Just pay attention to the pre requisites we have, that changed a lot between 5.6 and 7.9 (DB support, Java support, CI tools integration…).

I wish you a nice journey through the LTS-times and welcome on the freshly-released 7.9 LTS :slight_smile:

Carine

@Carine_Bayon Thanks for the info.

Can you help me with documentation for on-boarding existing projects into a new instance.

Thanks,
Krishna

Hi @kommineni

Onboarding projects on this new instance would be like starting a new SQ, running a first analysis on these projects.

If you prefer/need to keep history of the projects already analysed on your old version of SQ, then it would be better to upgrade, by following the standard path from LTS to LTS, and taking care of all the requirements from 5.6 to 6.7 and then 7.9.

Carine