Vb files are not getting scanned in the sonarqube 6.7.5

Hi Team,

I’m using sonar 6.7.5 where I’m trying to scan a project files, but the .vb files in the project are not getting scanned. Can you please help on this issue.
Sonarqube version: 6.7.5
Below are properties I’m using

sonar.projectKey=test
sonar.projectName=test
sonar.projectVersion=1.0
sonar.sources=dev/
#sonar.visualstudio.solution=dev/src/Main.Core/Core.sln
sonar.langauge=vb
sonar.exclusions=/Scripts/
sonar.sourceEncoding=UTF-8
sonar.visualstudio.enable=true
sonar.java.binaries=dev/
sonar.inclusions=**/*.vb

Hi,

Welcome to the community!

SonarQube 6.7.5 is past EOL. You should upgrade at your earliest convenience:

6.7.5 -> 7.9.4 -> 8.4.1 (this last step is optional)

Additionally, you don’t mention which edition you’re using but I believe VB.NET didn’t become part of Community Edition (the free one) until after 6.7. VB6 is only available as part of Enterprise Edition($$).

HTH,
Ann

Hi Ann,

Sure we will plan for the upgrade. So if we upgrade to 7.9.4 will the vb files get scanned with the community Edition or again do we need to go for the Enterprise Edition ?.
Also I can see that Community Edition covers 15 languages ( Java, JavaScript, C#, TypeScript, Kotlin, Ruby, Go, Scala, Flex, Python, PHP, HTML, CSS, XML and VB.NET) that includes VB.net as well, but you mentioned that it wont cover as part of Community one, can you help me if I’m missing any thing here ?

Hi,

When you say “VB” I’m not sure which you mean, so:

VB6 is only available in Enterprise($$), even after the version upgrade. VB.NET is available in Community Edition (free) in current versions.

HTH,
Ann

Hi Ann,

Thankyou for the update.
One last question so now to get the VB.NET code scan do we need to use the SonarScannerfor MSBuild and scan it or any other best possible way available ? Because basically our build team is using the scripts to run the build…in this case how can i execute the sonarscanner command in the best possible way(if this is the only available option ?). Also if we are using sonarscanner for msbuild option does this scan all other languages as well like html, js, java etc or it will be scanning only c# and vb.net languages ?

Hi,

Yes.

Excellent question! In fact, you need to use SonarScanner for MSBuild because it reads analysis configuration from your solution (and maybe project?) configuration. (TBH, I’m fuzzy on the details). What this means is that if the files of the other languages aren’t referenced in your solution, then they’ll be overlooked by a SonarScanner for MSBuild analysis.

HTH,
Ann